Calling All Beekeepers!

Been researching and swarm trapping for 4 years now. I got 2 packages coming in a couple of weeks. (Finally) I started researching them when I found out the tree 20' from the back door had a hive in it. The only time I got stung one landed on my face and I pushed it into me. (I stung myself really) They died/left a few years later. I notice squirrels in that hole now.
How fun! What is your favorite part about keeping bees?

How fun! What is your favorite part about keeping bees?
Not sure yet. Interested in the healing benefits from all of the hive down to the stings. With arthritis and numb hands I don't think a few stings will be a bother.
I also like the self sufficient aspect of it. And a good item to barter.

So I have been in and out of beekeeping since 1971 . Dad had bees before he married . Again when I was young and he bartered them away in 1963 or 1964 . I helped when I was strong enough to lift supers and hives . No varoa mites or hive beetles back then . Never heard of swarm traps back then . A lot has changed .

So I have been in and out of beekeeping since 1971 . Dad had bees before he married . Again when I was young and he bartered them away in 1963 or 1964 . I helped when I was strong enough to lift supers and hives . No varoa mites or hive beetles back then . Never heard of swarm traps back then . A lot has changed .
That's an amazing story!

Today I got stung but it was totally worth it. I took one bar from my top bar hive and got almost 2 quarts of honey 🍯 from it. :drool
Yum! You’re making me hungry!

Been running a top bar for about 5 years now. It's on the back 40 so I only winterize it and get honey from it from time to time when I'm low. No clue on the breed as I got them from a tree in the woods behind my other property up the road. Been slowly working on another hive I'm gonna put in my back yard. Started it last year but it's been down low on the list of things to do around the farm.

Back
Top Bottom