Calling all canning experts!! What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by justafewchickens, Nov 11, 2011.

1. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Hi there, and a big thank you up front for reading this. I had a jar of veggie soup explode on me last summer. I have read everything and can't find out why. This is what transpired that evening....

Hubby is canning quart jars of soup. They finish, and he lets out the pressure. Lets it sit for a good while. There is a towel on our countertop to set them on. He is proud, so I watch. The air conditioner is going, but pretty far away. We don't have central heat and air. The air conditioner is in kitchen, on the opposite side of the jars.

Then it happened. One of the jars exploded on me. My husband covers the other jars in case they blow too. I was okay, just still have scars on my face and hand.

Why did this happen? He measured correctly, jars seemed fine before. I just don't want this happening again. If I left out anything, please ask. Just need answers, so I can get closure on this.

2. That's awful and frightening! I'm glad the flying glass didn't get you in an eye.
    I've never used a pressure canner, so I have know idea *why* it could have exploded. Maybe the jar had a weak spot or other flaw?
    It sounds like covering the jars is a good idea in case it happens again.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:That is a scary thing to happen I am glad to hear you are okay. FIRST thing I need some clarification, you said "my husband let the pressure out" what do you mean by that? And what kind of pressure canner are you using? The reason I ask as you may already know is you have to let the pressure release on it's own and you don't open the lid until it has or the jars can explode. Yes, cold can affect the jars stability but not likely if it was far away. We need those answers before we can give you any further idea of what went wrong, but that was my first thought on what you typed.
    Also you need to make sure you are not using anything but proper canning jars and I prefer to only use ball or kerr (made in the USA) due to the ones made in China seems to be thinner and not as sturdy (these are the Walmart brand , Mainstays and Better homes and gardens, etc. That is all I can think of without more information from you [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:That is a scary thing to happen I am glad to hear you are okay. FIRST thing I need some clarification, you said "my husband let the pressure out" what do you mean by that? And what kind of pressure canner are you using? The reason I ask as you may already know is you have to let the pressure release on it's own and you don't open the lid until it has or the jars can explode. Yes, cold can affect the jars stability but not likely if it was far away. We need those answers before we can give you any further idea of what went wrong, but that was my first thought on what you typed.
    Also you need to make sure you are not using anything but proper canning jars and I prefer to only use ball or kerr (made in the USA) due to the ones made in China seems to be thinner and not as sturdy (these are the Walmart brand , Mainstays and Better homes and gardens, etc. That is all I can think of without more information from you [​IMG]

X2

Thats what I was thinking that pressure was not allowed to release in it's own time.

5. justafewchickens

Mar 7, 2011
    To answer the questions, the jars were Ball. And from what I remember, he opened the valve at top, think with a fork, and gave it plenty of time for the pressure to stabilize. He was careful before, and even more so now. And I forget brand, but it was a pressure canner from wally world. Now he lets the jars sit overnight, which seems like overkill, but he's a bit scared now.

Sorry it tok me so long to answer, have been at work all day.

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Okay, it sounds like that is the problem. You need to let the canner cool on it's own without letting the pressure out, letting it cool on it's own regulates the temperature of the jars and their contents, that would make sense why the jars are breaking when exposed to the cooler air. Try that and let us know. Hope that helps!

7. justafewchickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Ahhh, thank you. Looked everywhere to find out why, but nothing I found said anything about jars exploding, only the canner, or jars breaking in water. I will educate my husband, he got his knowledge from his Mom, and nothing like that had happened to her.

Now to find something to can!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There are several types of breaks that occur. Each break looks different and has specific causes. Thermal shock is characterized by a crack running around the base of the lower part of the jar, sometimes extending up the side. To prevent thermal breakage:

Avoid sudden temperature changes, such as putting hot food in a cold jar, putting a cold jar in hot water, or placing a hot jar on a cool or wet surface. Keep jars in hot water until filled.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by