Calling all cooks...

hoosierhen

Songster
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
Indiana
My oven died, may it rest in peace. Now on with the big question. I have to get an electric range (although I'd rather have gas) because that's what my kitchen is set up for. My question is this: What type of cooktop should I get? My other one is coil, and that's what I'm used to, but the ceramic top ones look nice and there are no drip pans to clean. Has anyone had experience with both, and which is the best??

I use to have a coil one and now have the cermic top. I have had it for 6 years now. I do like it. It did take a while to get use too. I just went out with a friend to buy a new stove for her house. We were told by many different sales rep. that the coil burners are going out in the couple of years and you won't be able to buy replacement burner easily. Good luck shopping.

Get the best you can afford to get with the features you feel you will use.

When my stove died I couldn't wait to have one ordered and shipped (6 weeks!) so I had to choose something in stock at Lowe's that could come home and be installed and used ASAP.

I have the ceraminc top, with double ovens and convection. I use it many times a day.

I have had both....coil and ceramic top. I currently have the ceramic top, have had it for almost 8 yrs. When this one dies....I will get another ceramic top. I LOVE them. Make sure 2 things...

1) SELF CLEANING OVEN! Ohhhh what a blessing.

2) BUY THE PLUG..when you buy the stove...they do NOT come with it! I learned the hard way.

I love my ceramic. It has conventional/convection, a bread proofing drawer and 5 burners, 2 of which are connected with a bridge for griddle cooking. Self cleaning and it was easly to install.

Yes! Buy the plug!!! LOL

The only thing is it scares me to use my pressure canner on it.

I have had ceramic for years now, only thing I wish was different was placement of burners, but Like MissPrissy my stove burnt out Monday before Thanksgiving, so not much choice of IN STOCK able to be picked up 48 hours.

Quote:
My MIL uses the side burner on her gas grill to do all her canning. Keeps the heat out of the kitchen and is safer if you're concerned about the pressure canner.

If you have gas coming into the house, it may not be all that difficult or expensive to convert to it. We had a friend do it, but if I remember correctly Gas ovens are cheaper than electric so the difference in cost to convert may be worh it. I love my gas oven.

Just something to think about.

We have a glass top and it works all right. The coil one heated up alot faster. Glass ones are easy to clean. Coils are easy to replace. You got your pros and cons

Back
Top Bottom