Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

Yes a blue 3 spot and gold 3 spot. If they are both males you will probably have to separate them. They can be kept as single specimens, male and female pairs or in harems with 1 male and a few females. Females tend to be far less aggressive than males. In a 50 gallon you could keep up to 3 perhaps. If you have a breeding pair or a harem it will limit what else you can keep with them because when they try to spawn they will become incredibly aggressive. Some people have success keeping a few females together. Results may vary.
They do fight. I often seem them swimming at each other, than ramming together and "kissing". I guess that doesn't determine gender, but possibly two males or? I asked about it on BYC before, and they just said to make sure nobody lost any lips. Is there a way to divide a tank into separate sections? :p

Last edited:
They do fight. I often seem them swimming at each other, than ramping together and "kissing". I guess that doesn't determine gender, but possibly two males or? I asked about it on BYC before, and they just said to make sure nobody lost any lips. Is there a way to divide a tank into separate sections? :p
That cause me off guard :lau

Tetras are really hard unless they're a species with really noticeable sexual dimorphism.
But regardless. Skirt tetras do not "mate" per se. The females develop eggs, the males and females display, do a mating ritual, the unfertilized eggs are scattered along with the male donation. You cannot move a female to a breeder box separate from the male because she will never release her eggs without a male to spawn with. Once they have spawned all fish including the parents have to be removed if you want any chance of rearing the fry.
Most professional breeders will use breeding mops. Once the fish have spawn they remove the mops to another tank and allow the spawn to hatch. Most people will never "accidentally" breed tetras. Especially in a community tank. Live-bearers are another story. They are born fully capable of swimming and stand a change of surviving with lots of hiding spots.
Good info, thanks! Like I said, I bred cichlids not tetras

They do fight. I often seem them swimming at each other, than ramming together and "kissing". I guess that doesn't determine gender, but possibly two males or? I asked about it on BYC before, and they just said to make sure nobody lost any lips. Is there a way to divide a tank into separate sections? :p
Males tend to have more pointed dorsal and anal fins if I'm not mistaken. Females fins should be shorter and more rounded. I would not divide the tank, potentially separate them if or when you get a larger tank. Often times it's just easier to re-home one or both especially since they weren't your first pick and a 20 gallon really isn't suitable for 1 much less two. Once they are full grown you are looking at a very solid fish up to 6 inches long. They produce a tremendous amount of waste and are often too aggressive to work well in a community tank. I do enjoy them. For years I kept a harem I'm a 50 gallon with danios but eventually rehomed them. They're great fish if that's what you want. But if you would prefer a peaceful tank I'd go with something else.
If it's 2 males 1 will typically stress the other into an early grave. They can cause some internal damage with the ramming. But usually it's just the stress that gets them after a while. The dominant fish will never leave the other alone. This gets much worse once they get older. Around the 4 inch mark you'll really start to see trouble between them if it's too males.

Males tend to have more pointed dorsal and anal fins if I'm not mistaken. Females fins should be shorter and more rounded. I would not divide the tank, potentially separate them if or when you get a larger tank. Often times it's just easier to re-home one or both especially since they weren't your first pick and a 20 gallon really isn't suitable for 1 much less two. Once they are full grown you are looking at a very solid fish up to 6 inches long. They produce a tremendous amount of waste and are often too aggressive to work well in a community tank. I do enjoy them. For years I kept a harem I'm a 50 gallon with danios but eventually rehomed them. They're great fish if that's what you want. But if you would prefer a peaceful tank I'd go with something else.
If it's 2 males 1 will typically stress the other into an early grave. They can cause some internal damage with the ramming. But usually it's just the stress that gets them after a while. The dominant fish will never leave the other alone. This gets much worse once they get older. Around the 4 inch mark you'll really start to see trouble between them if it's too males.
I would say they're about 4 inches, poor guys! The blue 3 spot does have "pointed dorsal and anal fins", the Golden's are rounded.
1653260250766.png

Is this an accurate way to tell gender?
I can get side photos of each.

Back
Top Bottom