Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I was cleaning my tank today, and as I was doing so I was watching my White Skirt Tetras. I noticed that one of them seemed "fatter" than the other, its definitely noticeable. I did a quick Google search, and it does appear that this one is a female, the other one appears to be a male. They are in a tank with two Gouramis', a GlowFish Tetra, a Cory Catfish, and 4 Neon's. I'm fairly new to keeping an aquarium, so I would not be surprised if I was wrong. :p
Photos are below, tell me what you think.

Male-
IMG_3944.jpg

Female-
IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

Both-
IMG_3946.jpg

Thoughts? If she is going to lay eggs soon, what does that mean? I obviously wasn't planning on having baby fish, so what would I need to do prepare for it? I'm assuming I would have to have another tank to separate her in so she can lay her eggs. Does she need to stay with the eggs after that? Do I need to do anything special in that tank? How big does it need to be? How do you care for baby fish? Thanks for the help guys. :p Newbie here, so I could be wrong about her even carrying eggs. Thanks for the help!

Also, I just finished cleaning and filling the tank in these photos, so its a it cloudy.

Last edited:
What forum did you ask on?
Honestly, I think she might have pop-eye, and the beginnings of dropsy. Definitely keep an eye on her scales and watch for pineconing.
If she's gravid though, there's really no way to know when she's going to lay her eggs, and you won't know when it happens either. The fish will eat the eggs, and if any do manage to survive, then the fry will be eaten. You won't have any babies left.

Setting up another tank is the easy part.

Raising the fry (baby fish) is the hard part.
They need lots of tiny food, preferably alive. TINY food. So tiny you almost cannot see it.

Terms to research:
infusoria
hatching baby brine shrimp

An article that may be helpful:
https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-is-infusoria-1379895

Personally, I would not bother trying, because of the amount of effort it would be to provide the right food for the fry. If she just lays her eggs in the community tank, she and the other fish will eat the eggs, and that will be the end of that, at least until the next time she is ready to spawn.

When fish spawn in a community tank, there is a very small chance that any fry will live to grow up. If one does, you have a pleasant surprise. So don't count on it, but it is not completely impossible either.

Yes, definitely do get another picture. Get some from above too.
Honestly, the amount of effort it will take to raise babies is really not worth it. You're going to need special food, a sponge filter, you'll need to cycle the tank first, you'll have to clean the tank constantly, etc. Then, you'll still need to find a home for the babies, if they actually survive.
Agreed, I don't think I'm going to do it. As a newbie hobby fish owner, I don't feel the need to go through all the effort if not not a breeder or whatever. I'll probably just let them all have a treat when she spawns. I've already struggled with keeping their tank clean, I don't think I'm up for taking on youngsters.

@HappyClucker7, these are the best photos I could get from the top. The camera was having a hard time focusing through the glass. I don't see any pinecone scales though, you can kind of see in the photos, but all of her scales are flat.
View attachment 3117644
View attachment 3117647
Your plant looks like an amazon sword...they dont do good planted its why the leaves are dying just so you know if you want baby fish id get guppies they breed and tend not to eat their babies my tank is 20g long aswell i have a male betta and guppies in it the other tank has female bettas and swordtails, heres my tank the little specks in my tank are guppy fry
20220521_182656.jpg

You said you have gouramis? Those buggers will be eating the eggs or fry in an instant. And an under gravel filter does a terrible job of removing ammonia, get an over the tank one. Walmart sells a decent one, I've used their brand for years. I used to have African Cichlids and unintentionally bred them for years. But they are mouth brooders, so it makes it a whole different experience. But when those eggs hatched, I didn't feed the fry anything special, they just ate what was on the bottom or floating around. Right now, I have a 29 gallon with neon tetras, black skirt tetras, zebra danios, red tetras, and a albino clown pleco but I do miss the African Cichlids

When our betta fish got sick we isolated him in a little tank called a 3 way breeder, I think that's what it's called. It has a divider in it so you can put 2 fish in it, or 1 fish. It also has a bottom tray with horizontal holes in it that when a fish lays its eggs they go through it and so no fish can get to them.

When our betta fish got sick we isolated him in a little tank called a 3 way breeder, I think that's what it's called. It has a divider in it so you can put 2 fish in it, or 1 fish. It also has a bottom tray with horizontal holes in it that when a fish lays its eggs they go through it and so no fish can get to them.
I just ordered one, I think its going to work perfect. :)

Back
Top Bottom