Calling all from the great state of South Carolina

Grew up there in the 70s from the age of about 4 until my mom died when I was 11 and we moved back to NC where all the extended family is...

Still have friends there and go every Thanksgiving to eat with some folks who live on Confederate Ave - you turn left off of Bull St just past where the freeway ends near the DHEC building, just before the mental hospital. When my mom was sick I stayed with these friends of the family (they are like God-parents to me) and we used to go ride around the mental hospital on bikes. One time we stayed too long and got locked in and had to talk our way out at the main gate - the guard was a bit concerned that we were trying to escape, LOL...

Growing up I lived in Spring Valley - went to school at Lonnie B Nelson elem. Used to go to Ft Jackson regularly for shopping and all our medical care - my Dad was a retired Colonel, US Army. I didn't know what a 'real' grocery store looked like until I moved to NC - I had only been to the commissary up to that point for groceries!

Anyway, I have very fond spot in my heart for Columbia!

Susan

Quote:
Arlee453, I went to Dreher, and grew up near Fort Jackson. My dad was a DI there for 36 yrs. The city of Columbia shut down the mental hospital on Bull St. about 5 yrs ago, I guess they just turned the patients loose with the rest of the crazies there. My eldest sister works for DHEC, she goes into nursing home to look for violations and believe me if any are found she will shut them down. Anyhow it's nice to meet you, I now live in NC but all of my family still lives in SC so I visit often.

Hey, I am from south of York, SC. In the middle of nowhere, 9 + acres of forest, and would love to know anyone else in SC... sure don't seem to be too many around! Plenty in NC though! Guess I will have to try that thread.

Back
Top Bottom