Calling all gun enthusiasts...need help please !

unionwirewoman

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Kalispell , MT
I'll try to make this as short as possible . This last winter I lent my sister my .22 remington because they had coon problems . I have finally gotten it back from her , but now 3/4 of the barrel is covered in rust . She left it out in her vehicle for months with the window down....needless to say I'm not happy and don't know how , or even if I can get this gun to look at least somewhat presentable . I've tried regular gun oil , and now am at a loss as to how to fix this . Any suggestions would be great....it's not an expensive gun...but I can't afford to go out and buy another one . At least now I know to never lend out any of my guns !
roll.png

you can reblue the barrel.

Basically rub it down with steel wool a few times from coarse to very fine. rub it down with cheese cloth afterwards, and paint on the bluing. Easy peasey lemoneezy

Thanks Boyd....how much does the bluing cost ? Is it a pain , or pretty simple ? Gopher season about to start , and I would love to have it finished within the next week ! I've re-done quit a few stocks , just never had a barrel this bad....guess I know how to treat my guns and others with respect . Thanks again....I was just hoping for a magical oil to " erase " the rust away !

You may try some CLP if you can find it but I doubt if it will help. I am going to go with Boyd on this one.

DH says if it were his gun, he would take a piece of lead, and rub the barrel with the lead and oil. It will lift the rust off. It will leave a silver look to it that he says should rub off.
hu.gif

Quote:
it'll take you a couple hours from start to finish. You can pick up the bluing at most sporting goods stores. Comes in a small tube. Use a small brush or q tip and coat it somewhat evenly. May have to rub with fine steel wool and recoat if it comes out blotchy the first time. Cost ya about $15/20 for all of it.

Just takes a lil elbow greese. Oh yeah, may want to take the metal off the wood to do all this
smile.png

Thanks....I've already taken the stock off.....everything's in pieces , so now I'll go dig out my steel wool and get to going . Guess I'll pick up some bluing tomorrow when I go into town . I was going to buy her a .22 for her birthday , but seeing how she takes care of guns... I'll have to opt for something else !

Back
Top Bottom