Calling All Legbar Owners!

I'm not sure I understand. They're as loud as other large fowl chickens.
Certain breeds are louder than others. Welsummers are known as a loud breed. My Welsummer screeches. Brahmas are known to be quiet. I rarely hear mine make any noise. Most of my girls are chatty, but my Welsummer never shuts up and she is decibels louder than the others.

Mine are totally chill. They're fun, inquisitive, industrious birds, great foragers, less likely to roost in the trees than my leghorns, never had an aggressive cock.

Your mileage may vary, however. There's a huge range of legbars out there with a vast array of differences in all of the traits. They have a long way to go before they're stabilized and consistent in the US.
Where did you get your Legbars from? I see that you're breeding them, so I'm very interested... I really enjoy my sweeties' personalities!

Where did you get your Legbars from? I see that you're breeding them, so I'm very interested... I really enjoy my sweeties' personalities!
Most of my original stock came from Cackle several years back. We've made huge progress with this stock since then and are now getting more consistently correct color, combs, etc and I love the size and growth rates of our birds. Our white sports came out of this line and have quickly become our favorites. We added an opal cock for our lavender line, and now have a second unrelated opal cock we're using.

In April we brought home 3 of these as chicks.

They are good layers, not bossy with others and very sweet chickens. Ours grew out into 3 sizes which is funny so we have one large like an Orpington, one medium and one small body. The larger one keeps her distance but will settle down in your lap fine for a rest.

The other 2 love company and always pop into the coop when I am working, following me along the roost bars and watching. They prefer to sit with you when given the chance. We spent a ton of time with them tho and this may be the reason.

Happy with them they are calm, not loud at all and good layers. I don’t see them pecking other either. I would get them again I love these mint eggs. The larger hen lays very large eggs.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Most of my original stock came from Cackle several years back. We've made huge progress with this stock since then and are now getting more consistently correct color, combs, etc and I love the size and growth rates of our birds. Our white sports came out of this line and have quickly become our favorites. We added an opal cock for our lavender line, and now have a second unrelated opal cock we're using.
Oh, goodness! From your signature, I thought you were more of a casual breeder. I had no idea you were developing lines! I keep my chickies as pets, so hearing people refining their breeds is always so fascinating. What are "white sports"?

In April we brought home 3 of these as chicks.

They are good layers, not bossy with others and very sweet chickens. Ours grew out into 3 sizes which is funny so we have one large like an Orpington, one medium and one small body. The larger one keeps her distance but will settle down in your lap fine for a rest.

The other 2 love company and always pop into the coop when I am working, following me along the roost bars and watching. They prefer to sit with you when given the chance. We spent a ton of time with them tho and this may be the reason.

Happy with them they are calm, not loud at all and good layers. I don’t see them pecking other either. I would get them again I love these mint eggs. The larger hen lays very large eggs.

Hope that helps!
Aw! I love a lap chicken 🥰! Yours sound just like my babies; they love to see what I'm up to and hang out with me. Where did you get your chicks? Just curious...

Back
Top Bottom