Calling all LG experts please need advice.

gabrielle1976

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Columbia river gorge
Ok My LG still air has been doing good for over a week , except a small icedent where my cat unplugged and sat on it .
Well all night last night <I actually had to sleep in my recliner next to the table its on and wake up and check on it ever couple hours> it was running cold 97-98 I keeped waiting for it to go back up and it didnt It wasnt any colder in my house then usual so I started uping the temp a bit at a time , Finally after about 3 hours of this I turned it all the way up to warm up the eggs and go down from there. A few hours later it was up to about 102 so I bumped the knob just enough to turn of the light , it went down to 101 I didnt worry then it went down to about 100 but that still seemed ok. at this point its like 3am or something and I fall asleep asleep.. I woke up this morning and my bator was down to 97 again.
barnie.gif
he.gif

What the heck is going on why wont it stay heated up , This is a brand new bator.

Last edited:
That is the thing that is so difficult about the LG's. The "knob" is extremely sensitive. Even then, after adjusting the knob, you have to watch it for hours to see the effect. Once you get it right......Don't move it. A room with the most stable temperature will work best.

I noticed a temperature fluctuation at about day 14 or so.

it might help to put some heat sinks in. I've never done that with mine but I know some others have. I think they use clean rocks or water filled jars or something. Maybe search on
it to see what others have done. It helps it keep the temp without fluctations.

Good luck!

Nancy

I've found that if your room temperature fluctuates, so will the temp in my LG. I put a meat thermometer through one of the holes and amazingly, it was dead on with the LG temp.

If the temp in my house drops by 5 degrees, the temp of the bator does too.

Mine have done that a few times, not every time but twice now, when they started that , my element went out. But I've had 'em do it for no apparent reason also. I'd just say keep an eye on it, and have a backup ready, just in case.

Good Luck.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you all

Douglaspeeps : I will certainnly be more carefull with the knob I thought I was already but I will be more so now. And bealve me once it gets back to a normal temp its not getting touched.
barnie.gif

NancyDz : I didnt even think about a heat sink, I have one in my home made bator never occured to me to put one in a store bought one for some reason.
ep.gif

Hens_and_chicks : I thought my house stayed about the same temp but now that I thinka bout it I did have my window open aobut 2 inches all day yesterday cuase it was so nice out side, and while my bator isnt close to the window its possible that the room droped a few degrees
duc.gif

hooksetz : My element better not go out
somad.gif
this thing is just over a week old
rant.gif

I have about 30 eggs in a LG right now because my two 2588's are full..I had to put it in the bathroom as it holds the most stable temps in the house..
Adjust it then come back in no less than two hours to see the effect. LG's are sensitive and take hours to regulate after the adjustment..

I glued a large plastic button onto the thermostat shaft. This gives me the ability to make smaller adjustments in the temperature.

I also give my LG a head start when warming to the right temperature by filling a couple of ziplock bags filled with 100 degree water and placing them inside. Others have mentioned using this type of heat sink, I just warm the water to temperature beforehand so the element doesn't have to work to bring all that water to the right temperature. All this seems to make fine-tuning a lot easier.
big_smile.png

bow.gif

bow.gif

bow.gif

Thank you all , Im a nervous wreck at the moment I am away from home for about 6 hours and Im just shure its gonna drop low again or spike up even though I had it at 99.8 when I left .
hit.gif
duc.gif

Go to Wal-mart and get a dimmer switch knob. There are 3 little plastic button things in there, one of them will fit over the switch on the LG. Then pop the round knob on top of that. Use that when adjusting the temp and it won't be so touchy.

To get it up to a certain temp, add a baggie of water or a cup of water to heat it up. Then remove it.

One question no one has asked. What sort of thermometer/hygrometer are you using. If you are using the one that came with the LG throw it away, they stink! Get one a Walmart for like $6.85 by the outdoor thermometers. It is well worth your money.

Back
Top Bottom