Calling All Nature Lovers! (chat thread)

When I get some time, I'll post some of the game cam pics we get around our land.
My biggest wildlife encounter - Black bear - took place Oct. 2016.

I'm an early bird. Living rurally - we do not have trash pickup. Our dump and recycling center is only open a few days a week. I forgot that on Friday, it's only open in the afternoon. But - at 7 a.m - backed my pickup half into the garage to load up, before remembering I couldn't go to the dump until afternoon. Went inside for coffee, and other chores. Next trip outside, There is a bear in the bed of my pickup, tearing through the trash. I startled him, he startled me and fortunately, I had my dogs with me. The easiest exit for the bear was to jump off the tailgate, and he jumped straight into the garage - maybe 8 feet from me. The dogs got between me and the bear, then then one dog rushed him, while the other dog went behind him. every time he moved towards one dog, the other dog charged his backside. He'd spin towards one dog, and then the other would charge him. After I got a second to think, I opened another garage door, so the bear had an easy exit. He took off, with my guys hot on his tail. They tree'd him, and I was able to get the dogs back under my control. Unfortunately, one of the dogs got hurt - not sure exactly how, but came back with one leg in the air. He ended up needing surgery to repair torn ligaments in his "knee."

I've walked up on bear in the woods, and as there is so much room to escape, it's never an issue. But having 150 lbs of bear, and 250 lbs of dogs swirling around in the garage was my biggest wildlife encounter I've ever experienced.

We have lots of wildlife here on our 13 acres on the river. Here is a picture of a young beaver I took some time ago.
20190609_135604.jpg

Months ago a young buck was eating my hostas. When I heard the neighbors dog barking while she just stood & stared, I knew he was back. If it was a squirrel she'd run back and forth barking.

Neither of us expected to end up so close to each other but, I was hollering and chewing him out for ruining my plants and he slowly turned around and made his way over the fence and out of my yard. Honestly I didn't see him again after that. But he had eaten so many plants down to the soil, he must have realized nothing else was left.

I am certain he'll be back once spring brings on new foliage.

Months ago a young buck was eating my hostas. When I heard the neighbors dog barking while she just stood & stared, I knew he was back. If it was a squirrel she'd run back and forth barking.

Neither of us expected to end up so close to each other but, I was hollering and chewing him out for ruining my plants and he slowly turned around and made his way over the fence and out of my yard. Honestly I didn't see him again after that. But he had eaten so many plants down to the soil, he must have realized nothing else was left.

I am certain he'll be back once spring brings on new foliage.
I find they don't like the dark green ones like they do the variegated hostas.

Back
Top Bottom