Calling All Old Cast Iron Lovers.......

Caroline, I was just reading your blog, I will be saving the link, and you asked what the "spikes" on the lid were. That type of lid is referred to as a self basting lid. As moisture accumulates on the lid surface it runs down the nubs allowing the moisture to drip back in to the pan below and onto the meat. Without the nubs when the moisture becomes to heavy to stay suspended to the lid it run downward to the outer edge. There are also some styles of lids that instead of nubs they have several raised rings that accomplish the Hope that explains it well enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Opa! Now, why didn't I think of that....it makes perfect sense. A self basting lid. I'm loving this cast iron more and more. Thanksfor saving the link to the blog, I hope to see you there some time.
talk to you later,
the wanna be country girl - Caroline
thewannabecountrygirl.com

Thanks to this thread, my house will stink for the next week or two. We have a 5 piece Lodge starter set that we got years ago (I want to say when we got married, but I don't think it's been quite that long) and the only piece that we've used (and therefore seasoned) is the round griddle. So not only did I reseason that (after all, it was sitting out on the stove top since DH used it the other day to warm tortilla shells) I also dug out the box and have started seasoning the skillets for the first time. I even had to run to the store to get some lard (the crisco just didn't quite work this afternoon and as much as I like bacon and bacon fat we hardly ever eat any). The 5qt. dutch oven is sitting on the table waiting for tomorrow night. We'll have to start using this cast iron. In fact, I fully plan on using it next week when I make my skillet pork chops. And maybe I'll ask my mom to bring me any of her cast iron that she's not using anymore. My dad took most of it when he moved out, but I think she's still got a large dutch oven with feet.

Last edited:
Opa beat me to it, but I have a similar one and it works well to bast

I checked my fav thrift store today, they had a big grill pan........with a big price tag $25. I am going to wait til it goes on sale and pick it up....I hope!

I had been wanting a cast iron dutch oven forever and finally broke down and got a new one at Academy for $18. Old is better but last time I saw an old one they wanted something like $45 for the darn thing! So my dutch oven is going to be roasted more than roast-ing.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom