Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Well that won't work.
The only way we could do that is if your birds were tested for PT or if I found someone here that would incubate the eggs and raise them to 4 months for me to be tested and I'm sure that won't happen.

I just put a file on the penedesenca yahoo group for breeders of penes and emps to list how many birds they have of each variety, how many roosters and the source of their birds.
I hope people use it and they don't find the idea invasive.
I would love to know what the population of each is in the US.

I tried to get on there to see your file but it said it is a private group and wouldn't let me see it.

***Sorry to butt in***

I noticed today that my hatchery Welsummers look a little odd. The hen has short feather nubs on her legs (like she forgot to shave her legs), and the roo at first looked to be developing a single comb... but looks like it's going 'crown' on me. Does anyone know if hatcheries cross Penedesencas and Marans to "improve" Welsummers?

***Sorry to butt in***

I noticed today that my hatchery Welsummers look a little odd. The hen has short feather nubs on her legs (like she forgot to shave her legs), and the roo at first looked to be developing a single comb... but looks like it's going 'crown' on me. Does anyone know if hatcheries cross Penedesencas and Marans to "improve" Welsummers?
You never know what hatcheries do. The feathers on the shank would be from a cross from somewhere though.

Brown genes are complicated so crossing to marans will not likely make the eggs darker.

Greetings, Penedesenca people. Thanks to all for breeding these guys and providing information about them. I got interested in the Mediterranean breeds and just received my first Penedesenca, a Partridge, from Meyer this week. Sorry this is not a good photo and is under red light, but I thought people considering a hatchery option might like to see. I'll try to add some better shots and update.

So far, this chick is standing out temperament-wise as somewhat more leery and watchful than the others, but she will tolerate a few moments in a lap and does not freak out or scream. She'll come near people to dig into crumbles. She is bigger, taller and more stout than her cohorts, which are mostly small - med. layers of other rare breeds. Here's hoping she's a she.

Greetings, Penedesenca people. Thanks to all for breeding these guys and providing information about them. I got interested in the Mediterranean breeds and just received my first Penedesenca, a Partridge, from Meyer this week. Sorry this is not a good photo and is under red light, but I thought people considering a hatchery option might like to see. I'll try to add some better shots and update.

So far, this chick is standing out temperament-wise as somewhat more leery and watchful than the others, but she will tolerate a few moments in a lap and does not freak out or scream. She'll come near people to dig into crumbles. She is bigger, taller and more stout than her cohorts, which are mostly small - med. layers of other rare breeds. Here's hoping she's a she.

A lot of people read flighty in the description and do not really know what that is.

Keep posting photos!

Last edited:
Looks like a girl so far but if it's a cockerel, the comb will become very prominent in the next couple weeks.

I agree with @ronott1 , flighty is the term used but it is a misnomer. I call them aloof because they rarely fly and just avoid human contact.
I do love that about them though. They're not about to be sneaked up on by a predator.

Back
Top Bottom