Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics

josh44

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Looking for other penedesenca owners and breeders ?

Incase you don't know what Penedesencas, They are a Rare Spanish breed of Chicken
that are best know for laying dark brown/chocolate color eggs ( like Marans,Barnvelder,&Welsummer).

Lets get together by email or by Phone.

Lets repopulate,
Share breeding tips,
Bloodlines,
We need to help promote the proper breedings of the penedesenca,
and help other interested in this almost lost breed.

They are super rare and are in serious need of other breeders to take interest and help preserve them.

Who has them ?
What Colors do you have ?
Who has entered Penedesencas in a poultry show? How did you do?

Also,
Penedesenca Breeders : Do you offer chicks, hatching eggs ,started birds, and or adult fowl.

Please post pics if you have them.

Thanks, BYC'ers

The son of my Catalonian colleague attended the Festival del gall de Vilafranca del Penedés in Catalonia last December and just sent me a few photos. So, the following photos are courtesy of Alex Guia.

Those lucky attendees!

Hi! Pene mom here. 4 of my Partridge Penes have went broody, one hatched out, one hatching as I type and other two hatching today or tomorrow. I'm astonished at how much their personalities changed when they became broody. They are the flightiest chickens normally however I've been able to handle them because they are absolutely unwilling to leave their eggs. They have been even more dedicated mom's than my cochins. Has that been anyone else's experience?

We have had a Barred Rock, a Buff Brahma, an Iowa Blue, and four Ameraucana for close to 3 years. They have been great pets and are super tame.

This fall we purchased 1 Buff Polish, 3 Partridge Penedesenca, and 3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte from MyPetChicken (Arkansas?). The neighbor poodle culled 2 of the Penes and 2 of the Wyandottes... so I have ordered 6 Penedesenca eggs as I can't find any chicks. Hoping for one good Pene roo to take care of the poodle. ;-)

A breeder in Atlanta area said I could buy some Black Penes if I drove down. 12 hours of drive time did not sound economical or appealing. I do not know of other breeders nearby.

Hope we can do our part in introducing Penedesencas to NC. Do you know if there is a specific standard/ideal chicken that I can try and match ours to?

Thanks.
[email protected] but dont take the black penedesenca she is holding for me
hide.gif

As a follow-up on my hatching from the eggs Guy (ChickenCanoe) sent, you might all appreciate an amusing little story, but first, as I noted before, 12 of the 13 eggs shipped by ChickenCanoe hatched. That's an excellent fertility and hatch rate, so thank you Guy! Ron, you're right; Guy really knows how to wrap and care for eggs.

Here's the story: One chick of the Black Penes tried and tried to get out of its shell. I figured it would die after a couple of days while the remaining ones continued to hatch, but it didn’t give up. Any time I’ve ever helped a chick out of a shell after a couple of days of no progress, it has died. Last Thursday was hatching day. Well, the little person in the shell persisted in wanting to live. It originally pipped last Thursday morning and chirped all the way until yesterday (Monday !) with no progress. Monday morning I was sure it was dead, as the egg was completely silent. However, when I tapped on the glass, he let out a huge chirp and continued to yell vigorously for more than an hour. Until then I had just been waiting for chickeedoodle to die so I could dispose of the egg and clean up the incubator. My wife, however, being the very good mother she is, said “just help him out of the shell. He obviously wants to live”. We figured he would die one way or the other--shrink wrapped in the shell or as a result of me trying to help--so I peeled the dried shell and membrane off him. He immediately jumped up and ran around with very little effort. Now, 36 hours later, he is alive and well…thriving in fact. I couldn’t believe it and still don’t. He’s quite scrawny compared to the others that had a couple of days’ head start in eating and drinking (and his down is still well matted--bad hair day), and I have the little guy in a separate brooder box for now while he catches up. He’s eating and drinking and is very active and alert. As a result of this experience, we have named him (or her) Shelly.

Wow, those eggs look awesome! I hope you have a great hatch. Below is our second pene egg (compared to a New Hampshire egg) from the November hatching. My daughter ate the first one--a double yolker. Thanks again to Guy for the nice hatching eggs. Every day I go out there anxiously hoping for another one from my first-generation girls.

Hi. Found this thread when looking up info on Penedesencas, and thought it was current, until I got to posts from May, and that couldn't be. Then I noticed it says 2017! Anybody still around?

I got "Penedesenca" chicks from Tractor Supply! (If the bin was indeed labeled right. :oops:)

Before I bought them, I did a quick Google search to see if they matched the breed, and what color variety they might be. It's hard to say. There are very few Penedesenca chick photos out there. But seeing as this TSC has been getting a lot of rare breeds this year, it may be that they are working with a hatchery that truly does have the Penes.

So here are my chicks, and if someone can, please tell me what color you think they are. Thanks!
IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5606.JPG
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5612.JPG

Back
Top Bottom