Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
Nice chicks. Looks like you may have 3-4 males in there. The less defined heads with the lighter color should be males. They dont show any or hardly any black pigement lines on the head. None appear to be wheaten that carry partridge. The rear of all of them seem to be well marked and not blurred at all. If so that would be a wheaten that carries partridge.

Quote:
Thanks for the info on dubbing. I have a frost bite dubbed Faverolles rooster. It just took off the tips and was no big deal for him but his comb was chubby to begin with. A few years ago I had a slow growing cornish cross rooster who's comb was severely frost bitten one night. By the next evening he was really suffering, I had to bring him in the house (where he lived for the rest of the winter) and treat the comb and wattles for frost bite. I won't let that happen again. If I don't dub these guys I will have to figure out some type of heated area for a month or two. If we have snow next winter like we did this winter the chickens won't be ranging out of the shed anyway so I could set them up with a separate pen with a heater of some type. I'll do some more research on dubbing, I imagine it is done when they are still very young.

I didn't mean I won mixed breed eggs on ebay, I won an auction with four eggs each of his Wheaten, Partridge and Empordanesa. He ran those auctions occasionally, the eggs were marked. Two of my chicks do have blurry stripes. It will be interesting to keep track of those and see how the juvenile feathers look. I thought the chicks would be flighty and maybe a bit smaller than my Chantecler but one of the Partridge was hatched round, pudgy and very mellow he still is.

Hi! Can you tell me what you think these 2 chicks are? They are about 5 weeks old. I think #1 is a boy and #2 a girl, but I keep being told that #1 can still be a girl...Thoughts?!?

Chick #1
81236_photo2.jpg

Chick #2
81236_photo3.jpg

Quote:
Compare the legs too. Males will be longer and heavier.
In my experience the combs can develop at varying rates.

Thanks!!

My partridge chicks (from Welp) are now 2 weeks old. Are they old enough to sex by color, or do I need to wait until their older? I was looking them over today, and didn't notice anything different, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

I'll post an updated pic later, camera got left in the truck, and Mom wont be home until late.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom