Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Not a single one hatched :(   The only differences that I noticed were that the humidity was higher in the beginning than it usually is.  I do a dry hatch until lockdown, but we had so much humidity in the air that it was in the 30% and occasionally made it to 40% (with no water added).  The other difference is that we had a few hot days in the middle of the hatch ( in the 80's & high 80's outside) which drove the temps up in the house & in the incubator ( but I never saw the incubator go above 102 - 103).  
I have never tried hatching by weight before, but when I weighed the eggs on day 10 some of them were already at 12% weight loss, so I am wondering if the chicks didn't have enough room to turn around & get in position.  I never saw any of these eggs wiggle & never heard any of them chirp.  I left them in the bator for 4 extra days, just in case, but nothing hatched.  I still need to do my egg topsies to see if that helps me figure anything out. 

What bator are you using?

Hey everyone - new to the thread and to Penedesencas but I finally have a space for them and I am looking for black chicks being sold. I have the list of breeders from the Penedesenca USA site but I would like to know more from those who have been breeding, bought from breeders, and have feedback on who my top resources should be.

I am in Northern AL but can drive or have chicks shipped. Any other information you can give would be amazing before I start cold calling people!

Ron, that's a sweet wheaten! I think the picture of the wheaten from Catalonia is, as you suggested, whitewashed from the light or glare.

Hey everyone - new to the thread and to Penedesencas but I finally have a space for them and I am looking for black chicks being sold. I have the list of breeders from the Penedesenca USA site but I would like to know more from those who have been breeding, bought from breeders, and have feedback on who my top resources should be. 

I am in Northern AL but can drive or have chicks shipped. Any other information you can give would be amazing before I start cold calling people!

Howdy from southeast AL. I have blacks from @ChickenCanoe's eggs. They hatched around New Years. I check their nest boxes 3-4 times a day impatiently awaiting their first egg

Howdy from southeast AL. I have blacks from @ChickenCanoe 's eggs. They hatched around New Years. I check their nest boxes 3-4 times a day impatiently awaiting their first egg

Mine hatched on November 19, and they only just started laying about two weeks ago, so you might still have about a month to go. Let's hope yours start earlier!I was getting impatient too.

can you take eggs? Guy do you ship Chicks? Lee Penny in Georgia also ships chicks

I am sorry to hear that!

You never know sometimes what causes the poor hatch.

What bator are you using?
Farm Inovators model 4200 forced air

So sorry to hear that. Dang, that's always heart-wrenching. You had such beautiful eggs! Let us know what the eggtopsy reveals.
Only 1 was fully formed, with the yolk absorbed but never pipped or anything. 3 others were formed enough to have feathers but were half the size of the other one. 3 others were formed enough to have nickel sized dark blobs. About 3 others had barely started, the rest were clears.

Back
Top Bottom