Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

I am new to having Penedesecas. I just got the first chicks five weeks ago and they're starting to feather out. I got the next batch five days ago and hopeFully will get more this weekend. The variety from what I understand is an even more rare a variety of the breed. The breeder said they were silver duck wing Penedesenca. he has two generations of breeding stock and they are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can breed some next year. I'm still waiting to see if he gets a Rooster hatched for me. So far all the checks are female. I have six purebred and 3 mixed with Americauna for olive egg layers

Anyone have any Crele available (eggs, chicks, adults for sale)? Every time I contact someone they don't have them anymore. It seems like the color is almost extinct.

An update on my chicks from 4 weeks ago. When I went to put the chicks in my brooder a week ago, the heating element was not working.
somad.gif
Hubby tore it apart and we went shopping for the electrical parts which we found at Lowes. I can't believe that the wafer thermostat was still working. It also needed a new poop pan. I found a heating duct person to make a new one for it. They did a great job as it fits better and slides in and out smoother than the original that had holes rusting out in the center. All the work on it is done and it is like an almost new unit. My 4 week old chicks are in it as of last evening. The heating element is working like a charm and the youngsters are laying under the heat like it is a sunny day out. I'm glad to have them out of our spare bedroom, which is needing a good dusting. I lost 2 chicks that failed to thrive, but out of 11 chicks there are 8 pullets and one roo. (His little comb is so very cute.) I could have used a second new roo, but I'm just glad to have found these. Hopefully someone close will end up with an extra roo. Now I need to get some eggs set from my older hens and work on my chicken pens.

There was a breeder of Crele on here but I believe he sold them to concentrate on the white variety. Someone posted that a critter got into his pens. I have not seen a post from him recently. I hope all is well with him. Does anyone know anything? I think Ronott1 also has crele.

Last edited:
I am new to having Penedesecas. I just got the first chicks five weeks ago and they're starting to feather out. I got the next batch five days ago and hopeFully will get more this weekend. The variety from what I understand is an even more rare a variety of the breed. The breeder said they were silver duck wing Penedesenca. he has two generations of breeding stock and they are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can breed some next year. I'm still waiting to see if he gets a Rooster hatched for me. So far all the checks are female. I have six purebred and 3 mixed with Americauna for olive egg layers
There is no such thing as a silver duck wing Penedesenca unless that is something he created - in which case they would be extremely rare but unrecognized.
The varieties of Penedesenca that exist anywhere in the world are Black, Crele, Wheaten and Partridge.
There are many varieties of Empordanesa, however, white is the only one in the US.

Just my opinion, that doesn't hold water anywhere but I hate hearing about people with rare breeds and creating other varieties until the few original varieties have enough breeding pairs in the country to perfect them.

An update on my chicks from 4 weeks ago. When I went to put the chicks in my brooder a week ago, the heating element was not working.
somad.gif
Hubby tore it apart and we went shopping for the electrical parts which we found at Lowes. I can't believe that the wafer thermostat was still working. It also needed a new poop pan. I found a heating duct person to make a new one for it. They did a great job as it fits better and slides in and out smoother than the original that had holes rusting out in the center. All the work on it is done and it is like an almost new unit. My 4 week old chicks are in it as of last evening. The heating element is working like a charm and the youngsters are laying under the heat like it is a sunny day out. I'm glad to have them out of our spare bedroom, which is needing a good dusting. I lost 2 chicks that failed to thrive, but out of 11 chicks there are 8 pullets and one roo. (His little comb is so very cute.) I could have used a second new roo, but I'm just glad to have found these. Hopefully someone close will end up with an extra roo. Now I need to get some eggs set from my older hens and work on my chicken pens.
They are pretty hardy. At 4 weeks, they may not need heat at all if they are in a relatively warm area.

There was a breeder of Crele on here but I believe he sold them to concentrate on the white variety. Someone posted that a critter got into his pens. I have not seen a post from him recently. I hope all is well with him. Does anyone know anything? I think Ronott1 also has crele.

There are no white Penedesencas unless you're talking about white Empordanesas.
That's the only Catalonian breed in the US with a white variety.

There is no such thing as a silver duck wing Penedesenca unless that is something he created - in which case they would be extremely rare but unrecognized.
The varieties of Penedesenca that exist anywhere in the world are Black, Crele, Wheaten and Partridge.
There are many varieties of Empordanesa, however, white is the only one in the US.

Just my opinion, that doesn't hold water anywhere but I hate hearing about people with rare breeds and creating other varieties until the few original varieties have enough breeding pairs in the country to perfect them.

They are pretty hardy. At 4 weeks, they may not need heat at all if they are in a relatively warm area.

There are no white Penedesencas unless you're talking about white Empordanesas.

That's the only Catalonian breed in the US with a white variety.

After researching the breed a bit more I do understand now that there are only four recognized varieties of the breed. I will see this breeder tomorrow and ask a little bit more about what it is he is selling me.

I have embedded an image here if that works, It is of one of the roosters that he has sold me. It is five weeks old.

IMHO, that is not a Penedesenca variety. It doesn't even have a Penedesenca comb.
I wouldn't give him any more money if you want true Penedesencas.
Ask to see the eggs that his birds are producing. The eggs should be intense reddish maroon and the combs should be carnation type.

Thank you so much. I'll try to find out what I do have. Probably some mixed breed. I guess I won't be breeding penedesencas from this batch.
2639.png
I'll have to look into finding a reputable breeder and try again.

Back
Top Bottom