Calling all pictures of Barnevelders

thought you might appreciate some pics I got today:D

no comb so not barnevelder may be a wyandotte or wyandotte cross I was sold my first bird as a barnevelder but it had peacomb so it turned out to be a wyandotte all barny's have a full comb

Our barnevelders are 4 1/2 weeks old. Not sure if pullets or cockerels.

Any comments welcome, they are so cute and gorgeous!

I was going to post about a Barnevelder chick I purchased in a Meyer's order and figured this would be a good place to hear from others that are experienced with the breed. First, I'll state that I understand that a hatchery chick may not be the purest and best representation of the breed. ;}

I have a mixed flock of chicks I'm brooding and one is a Barnevelder. I am noticing that she's the calmest and quietest (in nature) of the group. I'm trying not to be a helicopter (chicken) parent, so I'm just making observations. I'm wondering if the breed is just slower to develop (that's the info on Meyer's website) but am hoping that she doesn't develop too slowly and start to get picked on. I love them all sooo much and I want them to get on well. Here's a few pics of her so far.

In general is this breed fairly calm? Do they get picked on in your flock?

Day 1 - right out of the shipping container. She was probably the most tired looking out of all the chicks but perked right up after a few drinks of water.

Day 6

Day 7

Thanks guys!

I got 5 Barnevelders from Ideal several years ago, with several other docile breeds. Over the years I had them with Welsummers, Partridge Rocks, blue and black Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, Golden Cuckoo Marans, Easter Eggers, and Speckled Sussex. The Barnies were lovely and never made any trouble, but were never picked on. They seemed a little shy compared to the others.

Last edited:
One of our Barnies was an obvious cockerel so culled him. Now at almost 5 months our other Barnie is a Barnie!! At almost 5 months he is so beautiful! He isn't properly crowing yet and we are in an urban environment.

I got 5 Barnevelders from Ideal several years ago, with several other docile breeds. Over the years I had them with Welsummers, Partridge Rocks, blue and black Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, Golden Cuckoo Marans, Easter Eggers, and Speckled Sussex.  The Barnies were lovely and never made any trouble, but were never picked on.  They seemed a little shy compared to the others.

Thanks for the information verlaj! I'm enjoying trying a few new breeds! Just saying the name Barnevelder is fun. X}~

I'm looking to get me some more Barnies. I had to get out of chickens in 2012 due to a miscarriage. I had gotten our first barnies from Tailfeather on here as hatching eggs which a friend hatched for us. We enjoyed having their beautiful colors. My 11yr did 4-H last yr with dogs & would like to do chickens along with dogs this next yr. We'll be looking for chicks soon.

Back
Top Bottom