Calling all pictures of Barnevelders

Thanks for sharing! I know my reply is later so you've probably collected a few more of those eggs from her. She's pretty! Is she calm? Friendly? The one Barnevelder I have is the most standoffish of my flock. If I touch her she makes noises like a hen on the nest! I don't need all of them to be lap chickens but am finding it funny because I choose the breed for it's personality first, then beauty and eggs second. Again, I still love her, I'm just curious what your Barnie is like.

My girl is super loud. She squawks about everything! She just happens to be my favorite too. She doesn't like to be held or picked up, but has no issues jumping up on us if we sit still. And she is my only brown layer, making her a little more special.

Thanks for sharing! I know my reply is later so you've probably collected a few more of those eggs from her. She's pretty! Is she calm? Friendly? The one Barnevelder I have is the most standoffish of my flock. If I touch her she makes noises like a hen on the nest! I don't need all of them to be lap chickens but am finding it funny because I choose the breed for it's personality first, then beauty and eggs second. Again, I still love her, I'm just curious what your Barnie is like.

I have 2 barnies and they are the least personal of the bunch! Even as fluffy handfuls, they ran from being touched or held faster than any other little chickie I had.

Hazel dislikes being touched or near people, with no exception, can't get near for for anything. Penny always gets in my face as I'm collecting eggs, filling waters and tries to peck at me - she's a butt hole. The only reason I am able to pet and hold her is because she goes into major egg squat when anything passes over her. None of my ladies turned into lap chickens unfortunately, but my barnie girls are at the bottom of the friendly list! If they didn't have those lovely laced feathers, or lay those gorgeous dark eggs, they'd be dinner.

**I would like to redeem my girls a bit. My barnie girls, along with the rest of the flock, all live happily and peacefully toogether. No one is mean or bossy in the flock, I can't tell who is at the top of the pecking order. They are one big happy chicken family. They only like me because of the goodies I feed them.

Last edited:
That looks like a cool chicken yard with happy chickens!

Thank you for the compliment ! My yard is mediocre compared to a lot of the others around me. I can attest to one thing people love and care for their livestock up here. I'm getting nice xl eggs they must lay the very smooth eggs with no spots. I haven't been outside long enough to see whose laying. I just got the Barnies in Oct and love them! Here is the right side of their yard
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment ! My yard is mediocre compared to a lot of the others around me. I can attest to one thing people love and care for their livestock up here. I'm getting nice xl eggs they must lay the very smooth eggs with no spots. I haven't been outside long enough to see whose laying. I just got the Barnies in Oct and love them! Here is the right side of their yard
[/IMG]

That is a chicken paradise!

Thank you! We have 20 chickens (4 are roosters) and I wanted to make sure they had room to not be stressed so they will be healthy happy layers. Plus, easy for myself to clean up. We fenced off this section specifically for them to RUIN! lol :) After being a chicken owner for 5 months, I see they like digging holes & roosting up in trees so my husband put log roosts in between the trees. I'm learning alot! They are smart! .they actually do lay their eggs in their coop nesting boxes and they hardly poop under the trees where I throw their treats. We use to free range our chickens until a few were taken by predators. Very 1st pic of yard after fencing it off, then my husband put the log roosts up between the trees.

Very nice! Sad about losing some. What got them? And where did you get your barnies?

I bought them from a man close by who had a family emergency. He said they were purebred and couldn't find a rooster around here to breed them. He sold his entire flock in 30 mins about 30 chickens. I like my gabby girls! I like to make up dialog when they talk to each other. They are healthy and don't get sick. Lucky so far
1f60a.png

Last edited:
I bought them from a man close by who had a family emergency. He said they were purebred and couldn't find a rooster around here to breed them. He sold his entire flock in 30 mins about 30 chickens. I like my gabby girls! I like to make up dialog when they talk to each other. They are healthy and don't get sick. Lucky so far
1f60a.png

They're very nice. A not so common breed, so I'm not surprised they sold fast!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom