Calling All Rabbit Nutters

What this dummy's name?
The little girl calls him stormy, the teen boy calls him ace. I call him de bun.
Isn't he cute?
IMG_20210917_0940512.jpg

He's trouble... he escaped his outdoor enclosure last week, we suspected by crawling underneath..reappeared two days later looking for some bananas, so I gave him some banana and moved him to a new enclosure in the chicken coop. 2 days later, he tore the chicken wire from the ceiling of his new enclosure, and climbed up and managed to get stuck inside the wall. 2 hours later, after removing boards from the outside wall to rescue de bad bun, I secured his outdoor enclosure and placed him inside. 5 minutes later while watching him from the window, I witnessed him jumping over the 36in pen and wandering off. I don't know if I should let him continue this free range behavior, or move him in to be a house bun...I can't decide what would be a bigger pita.

3 or 4 months?
There's your problem. Hopefully he'll calm down after he's an adult. Most rabbits get hormonal ad crazy around this age, usually from 4 to 6 months of age.
After he's 6 months old you'll be able to get him fixed, and after a few months that usually really helps to calm the rabbit down. It'll also help with litter training.

He's trouble... he escaped his outdoor enclosure last week, we suspected by crawling underneath..reappeared two days later looking for some bananas, so I gave him some banana and moved him to a new enclosure in the chicken coop. 2 days later, he tore the chicken wire from the ceiling of his new enclosure, and climbed up and managed to get stuck inside the wall. 2 hours later, after removing boards from the outside wall to rescue de bad bun, I secured his outdoor enclosure and placed him inside. 5 minutes later while watching him from the window, I witnessed him jumping over the 36in pen and wandering off. I don't know if I should let him continue this free range behavior, or move him in to be a house bun...I can't decide what would be a bigger pita.
House bun!

He seems to be very high energy. He may just need mire space and interaction to keep him from getting bored and escaping.
He'll also be much safer indoors where predators can't eat him. And you'll be able to insure that he doesn't get overheated inside.

He does sound like a troubl maker though, so I'd be sure to bunny proof everything. Providing good quality hay and plenty of toys will keep him busy and his teeth down so he won't chew on other things as much.
I recommend that you use a large wire dog playpen as an encloure or homemade for him. Though if you have to put him up while you can't supervise him, you may need something more secure that he can't escape quite as easily. Something such as a large dog kennel or a pen with a top may work. Just be sure he still has plenty of space for a large enough litter box (cat sixed), a few hiding spots, toys, a food and water dish, and still plenty of space to exercise and play. 8-12 sqft of enclosure is often the recommended minimum for pet rabbits. Though plenty of playtime outside of the enclosure is very important too. Ideally, rabbits should have at last 4 hours of exercise time outside of a cage on the daily. Since rabbits are crepescular, they'll be most active in the mornings and evenings. So about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening works great for rabbits. Though since thy often sleep through most of the day, many people allow them to free roam their homes 24/7.
When you first start free roaming its important that you supervise him to be sure he doesn't get into trouble, and you'll be able to improve your bunny proofing as you learn more about him.

Back
Top Bottom