Calling All Rabbit Nutters

That's why she's chopping balls :)
Hair Cutting GIF by Lizz Lunney

Based on wild rabbit behavior, they all have a very large "personal space" issue that is only violated when mating or kits still in the nest.
But you have to keep in mind, that the wild rabbits here are solitary animals. However domesticated rabbits are from Europe, and live in groups.

Even neutered rabbits can be particular about sharing their space with other rabbits.
True, but when properly introduced it often works out well.

I think it really depends on the individual though. Just like people, not every rabbit is going to be social and most won't want to share their home with a stranger. But if they first get to know each other in neutral territory they can learn to get along well.

Sometimes rescues will help to find the right match for each rabbit since some may do great with one rabbit, and could fight with another.

I like it when I can look outside and see a bonded pair grooming each other. Not all my bunnies have buddies, but when they do they're the best of friends.
I have had siblings that fought, tried to castrate each other, or take chunks out of ears, but that was a long time ago.

And everyone should remember all the books and material written on rabbits is from human observation. Rabbits didn't write those books. There are exceptions to every rule and what works for one person and whatever animal it is may not work for someone else and their animals.
on the nose hints GIF by Efteling
This 👆

Attempted bondings can and do fail no matter how carefully the humans set it up. Rabbits are ❄️

I'd really like to get trebby a friend but I really don't want to screw him up or cause any rabbit problems.
I would rather have one happy bunny than two cranky ones.
But I really really really kind of want another dumb dumb.

Back
Top Bottom