Calling all Tennessee Lovers!

Hello TN family! I was wondering if anyone might have some or know someone that has female ducks that they are looking to rehome? We lost our drake last weekend, and our girl, Isabella, needs companions. My wife would prefer to keep an all-female group of ducks. Thank you!

Any contacts for duck hatching eggs close to Knoxville? Teacher looking to hatch ducks in our classroom this year (we have hatched chickens before)

Hey y’all! We have 5 barred rocks, down from 7. I’m looking to grow the flock a bit but here are my “issues”

1. We are building a house and will have to move in about 18 months.

2. My coop is pretty crappy, a tsc prefab attached to a 10x16’ structure which is predator proof. It does the job but is not pretty! the girls lay in the tsc coop, but I can put up some nesting box alternatives for them in the other area. then, I can creat a brooder space, attached for the babies.

3. Currently on 1/2 an acre in suburbs, but will be 50 country acres when we move. Hawks are my nemesis.

My “optimal” idea to expand is to encourage one girl (barred rocks) to get broody and put some fertilized eggs under her, but I’m not sure of the timing. These girls were hatched February 17 last year. I think I want a black austrolop roo and some girls, and am tempted by buff orppington, speckled Sussex and lavender amercaunas. do you think these breeds compatible/ optimal with East Tennessee weather?

Cackle hatchery charges an extra $20 for less than 15 birds, but that seems too many. 7 seems optimal, 10 likely. Please help with my chicken math!

ps, we are a family of 4 with one headin off to college and mainly want to make egg production For our personal use, which averaged 30 eggs per week.
Hi!

Buff Orps seem to do fine. We have 4, we also have a LOT of Cochins. lol The heat does get to them some. So a fan on the hottest days, shade, lots of water. Should be fine. We didn't lose any to that horrid heat last summer thankfully.

If you're only getting 7, go to Rural King or surrounding TSCs and get you some. Just call ahead & get their schedule or if they have some birds in stock. It's also hatching season so local FB groups are the place to check also. Oh and your local CO-OPs might have them coming in now. (Not sure your exact location.)
There is also Murray McMurray, & Hoover's Hatchery you can check also.

If you can afford it, get one of those car dealership, air blowing things with arms and have it running all day around your hens. Hawks are scared of that. (Learned that from another East TN farm on IG. lol)

I have 15 week olive egger mutts, cockerals and pullets. 5 week crested cream legbar/russian pavlovskaya crosses, same. Free to good homes (or soup pots, I don't really care). Pick up only middle tn.
Hi Chickfused. Wondering what part of Middle Tennessee you are located in. Not sure of the date of your post and if you still have these. I may have an interest.

I have 15 week olive egger mutts, cockerals and pullets. 5 week crested cream legbar/russian pavlovskaya crosses, same. Free to good homes (or soup pots, I don't really care). Pick up only middle tn.
Chickfused, I see now this was a December post. I will pay better attention. Getting use to this page!

I will have full bred Russian Pavlovskaya chickens available starting in about a month, and continuing for about 90 days. Pullets and cockerels I am in between Memphis and Nashville, about at the midway point. $40/pullet, $30/cockerel. If you take 2 hens and a roo and commit to working to conserve this breed, I would charge $100 for the set. They are smaller, flighty, and great foragers. They do OK in the heat, and great in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom