Calling all veterans and family members. Allies too.

My father served in WWII,he was in the Navy.
My brother is retired AF, master sgt.He was in the Gulf War,stationed overseas in Iceland,Korea some other places,I don't remember.

Hooooah!
hugs.gif
love.gif
for all the veterans out there, families and current AD.

Father: AF - Vietnam
Sister: AF
Grandfathers: US Army
step-FIL: 5th Group, Special Forces, retired
FIL: 101st airborne - died active duty 12/85
Husband: Special Forces, US Army, retired as of Jan 08

Wife of Green Beret

Last edited:
Quote:
I wasnt trying to make her feel bad, i just meant to say they all served equal.
But what can i say , my childrens great grand fathers prob. shot at each other at Sword beach on D-day, one a nazi and one a US soldier.

I have civil war skeletons, too. I'm also related to General Robert E Lee & Jefferson Davis! (it's all about early Virginia for my family). I never meant a single ounce of disrespect or boastfulness or anything of the sort. My great-grandfather (Grandpa Mathney to me) lost both legs in WWII (he was a bugler in the Calvary). Every Memorial Day, well into his 80's, he would dress in his military uniform and help lead the Portland parade in his wheelchair, playing his bugle. I was always very proud of him, and still am. I was just thinking of Uncle George when I saw this post, so I did not mention my Grandpa Mathney. My brother, who is so non-violent he's like a Buddhist monk or something, was in the military for 10 years. Another grandpa was in WWII (Marines, South Pacific), and one was in the Korean war (Army transport). I do not take military service lightly. I recognize what had been done for this country (and others!) for generations.

That said, it is my religious belief to try to resolve issues in a peaceful way. I am not anti-military. I am pro-peace. The standard Quaker belief (and that of Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren) is in the worth of every person and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and injustice. Lofty idea for some, but it is our way, and we believe in it.

Okay, here's a little history lesson from the American Friends Service Committe archive (the AFSC won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1947 for their world wide missions). This is just a small example for those who are truly interested in Quaker contributions during wartime efforts:

In 1940, an act of the U.S. Congress created Civilian Public Service for men who were conscientiously opposed to serving in the military (these were mostly Quakers). The intent was to organize "work of national importance under civilian direction," so conscientious objectors (COs) could give meaningful alternative service.

When the United States entered World War II, it was hoped the COs would be able to work in war zones. During World War I, COs had served close to the fighting front in France, carrying out agriculture projects and helping rebuild villages, sometimes under German shelling and air raids. In World War II, the American Friends Service Committee wanted to send COs to China to carry out medical and relief work close to the front lines. Unfortunately, a hostile congressman attached a rider to an important military bill, prohibiting work abroad for all U.S. conscientious objectors.

Initially, "work of national importance" included road building and reforestation projects. As the war continued, an opportunity was offered to COs to participate in scientific experiments as "human guinea pigs." This gave COs the opportunity to prove themselves ready to serve in dangerous situations that would not require taking human life. The U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development and the U.S. Office of the Surgeon General conducted most experiments, which fell into three major areas: disease, nutrition, and exposure to abnormal environments.

More than twenty experiments were undertaken, but this describes only a sampling. Since many ships carrying supplies and equipment to the British Isles were being sunk, a lifeboat experiment was established to determine whether it was possible for humans to drink a small amount of sea water without endangering their health. There was also an experiment to establish the kind of rations that would be most beneficial to those who were adrift at sea for extended periods of time. Some of the COs participanting were involved in determining the effects of dehydration, which required them to spend twelve hours a day in Boston Harbor, six hours on the raft and six hours in the water. This was to determine how to cut down on the amount of liquid lost from the body by exposure to the elements. Many interesting results were garnered from this particular experiment. For instance, it was recommended to the government that the old emergency rations be eliminated and a simple ration of candy be substituted, composed of 80 percent glucose and 20 percent fats.

Another experiment was the typhus, or "louse camp," effort. Men in this project were asked to wear lice-infected clothes for a three-week period. It was determined from this that two powders were safe and effective in preventing lice for a week. These were recommended for trial in controlling lice on soldiers and civilians in typhus fever areas. The formulae for several of the powders tested were never made public.

The University of Minnesota, the Brethren Service Committee, Mennonite Central Committee, and the AFSC jointly sponsored one of the experiments. This experiment focused on feeding and nutrition. The men who were chosen had first been fed a standard diet. They were then put on a protein-deficient, diet based on bread and potatoes-the foods eaten by many Europeans at the time. Finally the men were fed a rehabilitation diet, consisting of foods typical of relief feedings. The researchers discovered that it takes more than filling peoples' stomachs to help them recover from a deficient diet. Starvation has profound psychological effects on personality and emotions, and a long, complex recovery is required.

Other experiments carried out at this time focused on influenza, jaundice, motion sickness, heat/humidity and diet, cold and diet, protein replacements, and frostbite.

A number of CPS volunteers who were trained and experienced in research were assigned as technicians and laboratory research assistants. One of those who assisted in medical research at Yale University died of poliomyelitis. The assistant director of the polio project said of this individual, "The very real aid that he has been in carrying on this battle against polio is one of the better stories of CPS work. I know of no better example of work and sacrifice. He did, in reality, lay down his life that others might live."

One more note: To serve my country in a way I felt truly helped my community, I performed 1500 hours of community service and organized youth community service efforts for 1/2 of the going minimum wage (I was paid $3 an hour in 1998) thru AmeriCorps . That was a full time job, making only $600 a month, working with inner-city youth, doing all kinds of physical labor (salmon habitat resoration, ivy removal from National forests, beach clean ups, public art installations, clearing and building trails in the woods, filling food boxes at the Oregon Food Bank, working in soup kitchens, doing night time safety patrols in Portland to help protect street youth, visiting hospitals to work with disabled children, working in community gardens... all types of community work projects. Of course AmeriCorps is not seen as "military," and I certainly have not served the way many other Americans have, but not all those interested in peace just sit on their thumbs and dream up ideas about a better America. Some actually do something, too.

smile.png
Let's move on
smile.png

DC i just read about this last night. I wanted yo know more about your beliefs/religious background. Very interesting stuff. I have to say i can imagine that it is hard to be a quaker/amish/mennonite today.
Oh and how are you related to General R.E.Lee?
We are related as well, his mother and my hubbys great,great...grandmother were cousins. Are you a long lost cousin?

Quote:
I wasnt trying to make her feel bad, i just meant to say they all served equal.
But what can i say , my childrens great grand fathers prob. shot at each other at Sword beach on D-day, one a nazi and one a US soldier.

And my intent was not to make you feel bad. I had said things to DC that I wanted to apologize for! Sometimes that is one of the probs with typing! Like I said, we are all affected by war and soldiers that are family. Either we are waiting for family to come home, or we are praying for things to end and become right. All we have left is our voice and prayer, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was peace? The only thing with that is we would not have the desire to change.
So a hip hip horay for our men and woman, be it for those that are making sandwiches for our community when in crisis (or fund raisers) or for those who hold the job of bringing change and following orders. Bless us all.

I'm also related to General Robert E Lee & Jefferson Davis!

That's awesome! I've been to the Confederate White House in Richmond, VA. Very cool house.​

I wanna go there! I also want to see Mt Vernon (I have relatives that have gone, but not me) and Arlington (Lee's home). Someday....

BTW... I never harbor ill feelings with any of you. You are my peeps! We all have the choice to speak here. That is what a message board is for. America is the land of freedom!

conny63malies, hey cousin!
frow.gif
Yay family!
clap.gif

Not so hard to be a Quaker these days. I think we are all just working hard, celebrating The Spirit, and raising our children to be decent people. Same as most folks, right?

The connection to Robert E. Lee is complicated. He is related to me by adoption and marriage. As G Washington is my Great Uncle, this is the connection:

Martha Dandridge Custis Washington (George's wife) had children from her first marriage to Col Daniel Parke Custis. She and George raised the children, with George adopting them as his own.

One of Martha & Col Parke's children was a son, John "Jacky" Parke Custis.

JP Custis had a son named George Washington Parke Custis.

GWP Custis had a daughter named Mary Anna Randolf Custis.

Mary Anna Randolf Custis married Robert E. Lee.

And Jefferson Davis? Jeff Davis was married to Sarah Knox Taylor, daughter of President Zachary Taylor, who's mother was Sarah Dabney Strother Taylor, and the Strother family married into the Ball family (George Washington and my grandmother's side of the family) way back in early Virginia days. There are numerous Strothers in my family. The Strothers were also Jimmy Carter's family, too. His mom was a Strother. Bill Clinton is directly my 10th cousin. I am also related to President James Madison. Van Buren's are also in there, but I haven't gotten around to sorting it out. When I do, I guess that makes 6 presidents
lol.png

Another interesting fact: Robert E Lee, James Madison, and Zachary Taylor were all cousins (and we are all connected to King Edward I of England, and Mayflower passengers Isaac Allerton and William Brewster).

Boring, I know
roll.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom