calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
Spent the morning cleaning bird houses down at the beagle club - the tree swallows have arrived. 8 cleaned another 6 or 7 to go. Bluebirds were already starting a nest in one of the boxes.

Ralphie, I have never seen a yellow winged blackbird - guess we are out of their range here on the East coast.

I just looked them up online.

It says they area South America bird. I have always called this yellow wing blackbirds, maybe they are a sub-species or variety of a red-wing blackbird..

It looks just like a red wing blackbird but there is no red on it at all. It is all yellow. We have some here but they are no where as numerous as the red-wing. They kind of mix together.

It appears I made an error. What I thought was a yellow winged blackbird is just a variation of the red winged blackbird..

from what I read on the internet, and give that the value it deserves, blackbirds can have no red, no yellow or the red can be hidden when sitting, a number of things. I am assuming we just happen to have a bunch that have yellow hash marks on their wings and no red in this area..

Maybe in a million years they will be a new species!!

The ones here have never even looked twice at the chickens, even the bantams. The largest bird I have seen them hunt is a junco or titmouse. Once I saw one chase a junco through snow into a yew. Popped up through some deep snow with it's catch. Even if one were desperate I don't think they are a threat to any adult chickens.

Cooper's Hawks are a different story.
The ones here have never even looked twice at the chickens, even the bantams. The largest bird I have seen them hunt is a junco or titmouse. Once I saw one chase a junco through snow into a yew. Popped up through some deep snow with it's catch. Even if one were desperate I don't think they are a threat to any adult chickens.

Cooper's Hawks are a different story.

Aren't Coopers Hawks the ones referred to as Chicken Hawks.

Back
Top Bottom