calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
Mourning doves will come to the platform feeders too. I get them once in a while. We have so many fields of grain here they really only come in winter, and if they are too dumb to fly south.

here its a Mediterranean climate so Mourning doves are here year round. Normally our hills are covered with Oat Hay and mustard.... all grow wild where the fires have cleared everything else. Good forage for birdies... But these past few years... sigh.

Even the pigeons are getting desparate. Every once and a while someone will carelessly toss a burning cigarette on the ground and a pigeon will scoop it up and take it up to a palm tree to eat.... thinking its a french fry. Burns down his home and the Tree it was built in...

deb

See, Ralphie, you're a 'silly'.
lau.gif

She was talking about you!

I like horderves. finches are more a horderve than an entrée......

I was referring to the BOTH of you sillies...the "S" makes it plural, eh.
lol.png

Hors-d'oeuvres??

Oh now that reminds me of advising people that want to stop the bleeding from a chicken chick's navel...little dab of flour or corn starch will do yah. And well, if the baby bird don't make it, you're all ready to fire up the deep fryer since you've prepared lunch! NOW dat's an hors-d'oeuvre...
sickbyc.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Quote:
we have alot still... many are year round residents.... The is one boss guy who chased everyone off for a while Now we see his wife and children.... those little ones are soo eensy.

We have a humming bird wind chime in the front patio walk way... either side are Hibiscus plants.... One year we had a hummer make a nest on top of one of the hummingbird chimes... Out of spider webs ... it was awesome... she would twist around in the wind with her little eggy charges snuggled underneath her. she hatched out two or three that year... and the next year as well... then drought... and they never came back.

When my son first hung the bird feeder up he was disappointed that the birds didnt find it... I told him to fill the birdbath.... they will come for water and then they will check out the feeder... It worked.

right now the hills are black looking almost because of the lack of water.... Right now they should be mostly golden... Sigh we are due for a fire I am afraid.

deb

Here's my array of Avian friends who have visited recently and in the past:

Red-Headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker
Dark-Eyed Junco
White Breasted Nuthatch
Cardinal
Blue Jay
Eastern Bluebird
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Mourning Dove
Chipping Sparrow
House Sparrow
House Wren
House Finch
Goldfinch
Brown Thrasher
Robin
Cooper's Hawk
Vulture (These agreeable creatures sit on or barns)
Bald Eagle (These fly over all the time)

-Alexandra33

Birds I have seen and know what they are. Though I see these not in my own yard but while driving about or riding my horse in the back country.

Here in San Diego

White Egret
Blue Heron
cattle egret
King Fisher
Woodpecker
House Wren
Turkey Vulture
Golden Eagle
Red Tailed Hawk
Sparrow Hawk
Raven
Crow
Turkey
Barn Owl
Ground Owl
Grey Pelican
White Pelican
Black bird
Black bird with red on its wings
Grackel
Starling
Barn Swallow
Coopers Hawk
Scrub Jay
Kites
Harrier Hawk
A great variety of humming birds
Anna's
Rufus
Costa's
Allen's
Black chinned

Then there are the parrots
Mostly What I have seen are large about the size of an African grey or larger

Yellow headed Amazon
Green parakeet (look like a Macaw in profile but smaller)

I hear Los Angeles has even more... but here I have seen flights of at least two hundred. These are wild birds that were never tamed. No leg bands. they are living off the natural seeds and fruits grown in back yards. Carrot Wood, Fig, oranges, Palm nuts....and I am sure more than that but thats what I see in the landscape that could feed a parrot.

there are several on line articles on the parrots of San Diego.

deb

Back
Top Bottom