calling all wild bird feeders!!

Pics
And then rub it in by telling us all about it!
lol.png

Sourland in trouble again. How does he do it?
It's a gift....

Heel low:

Wanna guess what these lovely ruby red feather suited ones are...<<tiny hints>> pine is in their commonly used namesake & they are outta the true Finch family.

Here are them in pairs...

Eating under the Dolgo crabapple.
big_smile.png

So like FIVE grouse have taken up residence here now. Rick was ever so pleased to announce to me that five of them are regulars out and about!
celebrate.gif

There are FOUR hanging off the May Day in this photo...

Getting quite use to the goings on here.
wee.gif

See how wonderfully blended they can be...

Blink and you could pass them on over.

Blending so much so that when I have the audacity like I did this morn to actually make EYE contact (bird brain to nit-wit-twit-ta-WOO!) during photo taking...

"You cannot possibly be looking at ME...at moi!!"

I get the loooong chicken neck head waggle look cast upon me...grouse thinking..."NO WAY! Not possible to SEE me!"

I get the EVIL bird brain look of instant death (Medusa like)...
barnie.gif

Beauty birds, even if'n they are a tad clumsy in the tree branches--trying to take out fruit like the frozen crabapples.
lol.png

Ton of photos I now have...and yet, not turned to stone quite yet. A tad crusty being that it is a Monday morn...but past that...no rock solidifying here. Sore knees but still a movin'.
old.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Great pics!! Would love to have some grouse take up residence around my place.
Is it a purple pine siskin? I don't remember but I think that's what my Dad called them. I also don't remember them having such black eyeliners. Pretty birds whatever they are called.

Great pics!! Would love to have some grouse take up residence around my place.
Is it a purple pine siskin? I don't remember but I think that's what my Dad called them. I also don't remember them having such black eyeliners. Pretty birds whatever they are called.

Thanks, eh...the grouse make the sweetest of noises and their feathered booty feets have me enchanted. They obviously do not migrate--shedding summer colours for more winterish ones (brown morphs for warmer more humid times versus grey morphs for cold).
wink.png

Ever so well camouflaged for the forest floors

Stocky chunkin' birds...for a wild bird, they would make a decent serving for one but I think they already know I just mutter "chicken dinners" at them to tease. I am overwhelmed they put up with me crashing around on the ground, clicking pics.

Some incorrectly refer to the Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus) as a Partridge (in a pear tree...they need to go to the new orchard to find those here!) but they are also commonly called Drummer (stick?) or my fav, THUNDER CHICKEN!!!! Bring on the five thunder chooks! LMBO
celebrate.gif

Does someone need to lay off eating FRUIT for a bit? Branch bender OR soon to be limb breaker!!!

We've already had a few good laughs at their own less than graceful jungle gym antics in the deciduous tree branches. Chubby trapeze artisans.
tongue.png

Lookit...jest like a suckling piglet prepared for the roasting spit; already stuffed with a crabapple in the gob!
lol.png

On the name that mystery bird, it is not a Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus) or a Purple Finch (Carpodacus purpureus) though we get those here also. Same family, but this particular one is on the larger size for Finches.

Above; not the greatest photo I've ever taken but this does show a Pine Siskin in the midst of a pair of these birds along with a frozen water bottle (gives you an idea on size of them mystery birdles).
lol.png

This mysterious northern bird of the pines is attracted to our yards by fruit (frugivore) which would comprise of fruit from the Dolgo crabapple and the two Rowanberry (Mountain Ash) trees I planted on either side of the fish pond and waterfall. Not many rowan berries left as the annual offspring of the Robins usually gorge those up pretty good.

Juvenile Robins in Rowanberry trees stripping off them berries - Sept 2012

I've posted pics of two other variations of this Finch (another hint...look to the BEAKY as part of its name!
wink.png
) on this thread.

So had best stop dropping hints as someone HAS to know what these large (oops, another hint at the common name again...) birds are.
cool.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

I have no idea what the name of the mystery bird is, but it sure is an attractive one. Thanks for the grouse pictures!

Back
Top Bottom