calling any one from missouri

View attachment 2206971View attachment 2206973View attachment 2206974

A few of the lilies in our chicken run. A few years back, an elderly gentleman in our church who'd spent a lifetime breeding lilies invited us to dig up a truckload of bulbs from his garden and bring them to our place, as he was getting to old to care for them all. We didn't want to be greedy but we took several. He has since passed away and all his work has been dug up, plowed over and changed hands. We now wish we had taken many more! All we can do is keep them alive and the chickens certainly help with that, fertilizing and cultivating diligently! 😆 Notice that some of the blossoms have ruffles.
Wow :eek: their stunning 😍

View attachment 2206971View attachment 2206973View attachment 2206974

A few of the lilies in our chicken run. A few years back, an elderly gentleman in our church who'd spent a lifetime breeding lilies invited us to dig up a truckload of bulbs from his garden and bring them to our place, as he was getting to old to care for them all. We didn't want to be greedy but we took several. He has since passed away and all his work has been dug up, plowed over and changed hands. We now wish we had taken many more! All we can do is keep them alive and the chickens certainly help with that, fertilizing and cultivating diligently! 😆 Notice that some of the blossoms have ruffles.

Those are nice!

I like that orangish one the “most bestest” though 😉

Hey Sue, didn’t you tell us once that you have looked for paw paws on your place but didn’t find them? ... I might be thinking of someone else...

In any case I read that zebra swallowtails use pawpaw trees exclusively as the host tree for their caterpillars... so if you have lots of zebra flutterflies you must have some pawpaws hiding around there somewhere 😉
I saw an MDC article about that today.

Hey Sue, didn’t you tell us once that you have looked for paw paws on your place but didn’t find them? ... I might be thinking of someone else...

In any case I read that zebra swallowtails use pawpaw trees exclusively as the host tree for their caterpillars... so if you have lots of zebra flutterflies you must have some pawpaws hiding around there somewhere 😉
We had a wild paw paw in the bottom woodland along a creek when I was growing up. For some strange reason, we never ate any.
I tried to get paw paws to plant when we moved here but never got around to it.

Ha! Yes it was me. Well I'm going to have to search again! Thanks!!!!

We had a wild paw paw in the bottom woodland along a creek when I was growing up. For some strange reason, we never ate any.
I tried to get paw paws to plant when we moved here but never got around to it.

I find them along the river a lot... I usually make it a point to go pick me at least a handful when they get ripe

I’ve tried for the last three years to get paw paw seeds to germinate... you have to cold stratify them and all that... which I’ve done... but never got a single one to sprout 🙄 I’m obviously doing something wrong...

I’m not even sure I can grow them up here by the house on this rocky ground, but I have one seepy spot I thought I might get one to grow

I find them along the river a lot... I usually make it a point to go pick me at least a handful when they get ripe

I’ve tried for the last three years to get paw paw seeds to germinate... you have to cold stratify them and all that... which I’ve done... but never got a single one to sprout 🙄 I’m obviously doing something wrong...

I’m not even sure I can grow them up here by the house on this rocky ground, but I have one seepy spot I thought I might get one to grow
I believe they are an understory tree for moist bottomland.

I believe they are an understory tree for moist bottomland.

Yeah that’s where I find them for sure... but I’ve known some folks that had them planted in a shady yard that wasn’t the typical bottom ground and they did well...

I do have plenty of shade... but I think their need for moist soil is the part where I only have one spot to try here at the house

Back
Top Bottom