calling any one from missouri

hello, just wondering who comes from missouri
hu.gif
:

woot.gif
Hi fellow Missourians. How many are ready for the arctic blast? Soooo many posts asking for advice on super cold weather. I have read so many varying opinions on how chickens survive it. I just read a post on FB that saying chicks 11 weeks are way too young to handle the negative temps we are about to have. I have 3 10-week-olds out there. Now I'm worried. I do not heat the coop, but I have provided them with a K & H heated perch so they can use it as they wish. I've covered all the drafty doors on the coop. I try to keep poop cleaned out(keep bedding dry), and put plastic around the run part. I have really packed tight flakes of rye grass hay as their base in the coop with pine shavings mixed in. They have two 14-week-olds to cuddle with, so 5 youngins all together. This is my first winter with ones this young, and thought they were all good since fully feathered, but second guessing only now after reading other opinions. What do you all think? Anybody had young ones out in very bitter Missouri winter? I'd die if I came out to find them frozen to death. Please tell me my 10-week-olds will be OK!!!!! Thank you! Stay warm all!

But if you lo
Hi fellow Missourians. How many are ready for the arctic blast? Soooo many posts asking for advice on super cold weather. I have read so many varying opinions on how chickens survive it. I just read a post on FB that saying chicks 11 weeks are way too young to handle the negative temps we are about to have. I have 3 10-week-olds out there. Now I'm worried. I do not heat the coop, but I have provided them with a K & H heated perch so they can use it as they wish. I've covered all the drafty doors on the coop. I try to keep poop cleaned out(keep bedding dry), and put plastic around the run part. I have really packed tight flakes of rye grass hay as their base in the coop with pine shavings mixed in. They have two 14-week-olds to cuddle with, so 5 youngins all together. This is my first winter with ones this young, and thought they were all good since fully feathered, but second guessing only now after reading other opinions. What do you all think? Anybody had young ones out in very bitter Missouri winter? I'd die if I came out to find them frozen to death. Please tell me my 10-week-olds will be OK!!!!! Thank you! Stay warm all!
I don’t know about 10 week olds. If they are fully feathered, then they are probably fine. I am sure adult birds will be fine. Here’s a recent thread about the upcoming cold where many have shared their experiences, it’s really helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-cold-is-too-cold-for-my-chickens.1557629/
You might ask your question there too….
As I mentioned in the thread, I will bring my bantam hen into my basement. I have a cage there that serves as my broody jail, with which she is quite familiar…. 95449A49-EE88-4BFF-85A2-8BDCD9D7D2F9.jpeg

But if you lo

I don’t know about 10 week olds. I am sure adult birds will be fine. Here’s a recent thread about the upcoming cold where many have shared their experiences, it’s really helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-cold-is-too-cold-for-my-chickens.1557629/
You might ask your question there too….
As I mentioned in the thread, I will bring my bantam hen into my basement. I have a cage there that serves as my broody jail, with which she is quite familiar….View attachment 3354554
Lol about broody jail. Beautiful bantam! Thank you for the link!

FWIW, I heat my coops when the temps fall below freezing, I have 3 old gals and I'm a softy so I try to keep their coops above freezing. Sweet Pea had frost bite a few winters ago so I don't want that happening again. Not to mention that if the coops are above freezing it's warmer for me when I clean the poop! Oh yeah and no frozen poop sickle to ignore...

JT

Back
Top Bottom