calling any one from missouri

JT, what do you use for heating?
In Coop Deux I have two oil filled heaters under the poop table. These are very effective and radiate heat up through the poop table.

In Coop Uno I have a couple of heat lamps with red heat bulbs in them hanging from the top of the coop. These are ok but this coop is not insulated so hopefully they at least keep the birds a bit warm.

Both coops are controlled with Raspberry Pi 3 SBCs (Single Board Computer) and I have a temperature sensor that displays the temperature on a web page for me so I can monitor the inside temperature of each coop.

JT

7º here, still snowing lightly, wind is fierce tho. It took longer to get the dogs ready than they were able to spend outside. 9250744F-CBBC-486D-8CAE-46E4E44DB1AF.jpeg

This tiny amount of snow has freaked out the chickens, who are usually undaunted by cold temps. Only the Spitzhaubens will come out briefly for treats. They are a Swiss breed, so this should be nothing. Moonshine, the Sebright, is now in her cage in the basement, it’s about 60º down there. 4B0D8BFD-6BDB-4128-A640-5306C20111C8.jpeg

FWIW, I heat my coops when the temps fall below freezing, I have 3 old gals and I'm a softy so I try to keep their coops above freezing. Sweet Pea had frost bite a few winters ago so I don't want that happening again. Not to mention that if the coops are above freezing it's warmer for me when I clean the poop! Oh yeah and no frozen poop sickle to ignore...

JT
I know. I want them to be comfortable in winter. I'd love to heat their coop. I guess I kind of am. They have a heated perch that comes on anywhere below 35F and a brooder plate to sit on. They all look like they're handling it well. Some are sitting on the perch, and some are cuddled up to it, resting their necks on it! It only sits maybe 5 inches off the floor. Hope yours are all hunkered down and warm. Can't wait for a heat wave of anything above freezing, lol

Back
Top Bottom