calling any one from missouri

Do the chickens make a difference in bugs especially ticks? We have a lot of ticks here this year….
Huge difference. Before i got them on this property I wouldn't be able to go outside for more than a few minutes without getting a dozen ticks on me and now I can work outside all day and I might get 1 tick. If I wonder to the far side of my property I will come back with them covering me. I think the fact that mine are gamefowl mixes helps since they are a little more wild and in touch with there primitive side

So now I'm pondering how to combine the two flocks into Coop Uno which has a chicken yard and Coop Deux only has a chicken run with no yard. Sleeping accommodations are better in Coop Deux but the large fenced chicken yard over rules that. I do worry about Pee Wee as she is at the very bottom of the pecking order...

JT

The longest day of the year is past…I get very sleepy waiting for the chickens to go bed. Though I know the days won’t shorten noticeably any time soon, at least they won’t lengthen!
8 of the 11 chickens go in at a reasonable time, between 8 and 8:15. But there are 3 that stay up much later, like till 9.
I explained it in this meme I made for BYC’s chicken shaming contest: (The contest is still going on, take a look at all the entries if you get a chance!). Here’s mine
IMG_2720.jpeg
So I usually end up, around 8:45 chasing Moonshine and Nadine into the coop, then grabbing Speck and stuffing her in as well.
Well when I went to open the coop this morning, Nadine was outside, in the run! She had been out all night. Apparently she had, after hopping in the back door, run out the front door as I walked around to close it, then hid from me. She’s lucky to be alive. Our run is not predator proof. There are lots of branches to roost on, she must have done that. Well, has she learned her lesson, will she go in early tonight> I shall soon find out…..it’s time to go out and sit in my chair by the chickens and watch the sun set…

link to BYC chicken shaming contest:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/poultry-shaming-contest.1585135/

The longest day of the year is past…I get very sleepy waiting for the chickens to go bed. Though I know the days won’t shorten noticeably any time soon, at least they won’t lengthen!
8 of the 11 chickens go in at a reasonable time, between 8 and 8:15. But there are 3 that stay up much later, like till 9.
I explained it in this meme I made for BYC’s chicken shaming contest: (The contest is still going on, take a look at all the entries if you get a chance!). Here’s mine
View attachment 3552426
So I usually end up, around 8:45 chasing Moonshine and Nadine into the coop, then grabbing Speck and stuffing her in as well.
Well when I went to open the coop this morning, Nadine was outside, in the run! She had been out all night. Apparently she had, after hopping in the back door, run out the front door as I walked around to close it, then hid from me. She’s lucky to be alive. Our run is not predator proof. There are lots of branches to roost on, she must have done that. Well, has she learned her lesson, will she go in early tonight> I shall soon find out…..it’s time to go out and sit in my chair by the chickens and watch the sun set…

link to BYC chicken shaming contest:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/poultry-shaming-contest.1585135/
Poultry ain't the brightest.
I almost lost my favorite call duck the other day.
I didn't notice when I refilled the pools I had left just a little too much space Between the pool And the Raised grass bed..
Her dumb 🫏 Stuck her head in the crack and got stuck. Had the hubby not went out to mow and saw her flopping she'd have been a goner. 🙄

Trudy a 6 year old RIR died yesterday so down to 8 hens.

JT
Sorry for the loss of your Trudy, JT. We lost a hen yesterday, too. She was one of the OG, the oldest EE, but even at that I don't think she could have been older that 4 years old at the most. No idea what she died of. Found her dead in a nest yesterday morning. Looked peaceful orher than being on her side rather than in sleep mode. Odd. And now I have another old EE acting weird. Like she can't see .... when I throw out scratch, BOSS and the daily alottment of dried mealworms, she peers around at the ground, pecks a bit, but can't seem to see the goodies and either comes up empty or picks up a piece of dirt and discards it.

Poultry ain't the brightest.
I almost lost my favorite call duck the other day.
I didn't notice when I refilled the pools I had left just a little too much space Between the pool And the Raised grass bed..
Her dumb 🫏 Stuck her head in the crack and got stuck. Had the hubby not went out to mow and saw her flopping she'd have been a goner. 🙄
Put a pic of her in the poultry shaming contest w that story…

Blue it's hard to watch a chicken that is having problems. My RIR Tu Tu has had a slight limp for quite some time now and today it seems a bit worse. I've checked her for bumblefoot but none found so I assume it's an internal injury. All you can do is make them as comfortable as possible when things start going south for them.

JT

Back
Top Bottom