calling any one from missouri

We visited the Newton County Fair in Neosho MO this morning. They have a LOT of chickens. A lot of bantams, a whole row of black rose comb bantams… IMG_4746.jpeg IMG_4741.jpeg
There are breeds are sheep I’ve never seen before
IMG_4757.jpeg

Neosho MO has Big Spring Park in the middle of town with a gorgeous waterfall. The stream from the spring is home to a big flock of ducks…cars are required to stop for ducks crossing the road in Neosho.
IMG_4727.jpeg IMG_4731.jpeg
In the fast moving stream this mama was watching all these ducklings who were able to keep themselves from being swept downstream.
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4736.jpeg

I've been looking but nothing suitable has come up. I've noticed 75% are pyrenees or mixes and I'm hesitant to get a pyrenees since several of the dogs running around loose on these roads are pyrenees and I don't want any dog of mine to be confused with known trouble makers. I did find a bug red pyrenees heeler mix I'm interested in but I want an older dog and its just a puppy. I find alot of dogs old enough but with no experience or not good with kids or cats, pigs, chickens etc. Not easy finding a good guardian dog.

Last edited:
Try a Sheltie.

I just lost mine at 13 yo and she was fearless. She did not specifically protect the chickens per se, but she was territorial which amounted to the same thing. I saw her drive off three coyotes one afternoon. She was not a lap dog or a Velcro dog; she spent her time lying on either the back step or the front step, surveying her domain. She kept our ten acres clear of intruders, from squirrels to coyotes, so my chickens could free range. She was noisy, I'll caution you on that. When people came around, she alerted me, but she was just noisy, not a biter. She roamed with the chickens, leaving her scat along with theirs, and the coyotes apparently respected her boundaries. I know there WERE coyotes, we can hear them. She stayed home although we aren't fenced; our driveway is half a mile long. My point is you don't need a big dog, you need a good dog. Good luck!

I've been looking but nothing suitable has come up. I'm hesitant to get a pyrenees since several of the dogs running around loose on these roads are pyrenees and I don't want any dog of mine to be confused with known trouble makers. I did find a bug red pyrenees heeler mix I'm interested in but I want an older dog and its just a puppy. I find alot of dogs old enough but with no experience or not good with kids or cats, pigs, chickens etc. Not easy finding a good guardian dog.
There are non-pyrenees and mixes on craigslist too. Joplin humane society is another option.
Our neighbors have Akbash guardian dogs. They got a 2nd one to be the understudy of the first. They live w the goats and do a good job. They are white and resemble labs. I have seen these on craigslist before, and on Turkey Creek swap which is only virtual now, via Facebook. This is their older dog, Sandy.
IMG_4396.jpeg There‘s a big poultry swap in Afton OK. I’ve never been, but I hear it’s huge. And guess what? It’s this coming weekend….I’m guessing it’s not more than 1/2 hour from you. For us it’s 1 1/2 hour.
IMG_2768.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom