calling any one from missouri

Just got home from Jacob's. It was not nearly as big as I had hoped. We were only there about an hour. We brought home a pair of bantam creles, a naked neck(man is he ugly, in a cool sort of way) and a pair of bantam buff brahmas. We then came back thru Boonville and went to the swap at the fair grounds and got a young pair of red piles. I was really quite shocked at the lack of variety at Jacob's. If I go next year, it will be on a Saturday. I'm glad we went but overall was disappointed. I will be interested to see how Saturday went from your feedback.

Just came in from figuring out how to house them all separately for a month. And I heard on the news this morning about the avian flu.

Gonna go post a couple of our roos on Craig's list. WAY too many.

Missy

Missy
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with Jacob's Cave. Saturdays are the best! In all of my years going down there they have always had a huge variety of chickens. Mefordz said it was slow down there, hopefully tomorrow is better.

My poor Large Fowl Salmon Favorelle chicks (from Estes Hatchery) are getting bullied by my Speckled Sussex, and I've decided I need to sell them for their own good. If anyone is interested, I posted them on Craigslist for $20 for each trio. They are getting bigger and the brooder is getting crowded, so I've put them in their own little box for now, but that's just until I sell the poor sweeties. They are Marek's vaccinated. You know I even titled my ad 'Disappointed by the swap?' after reading the last few posts, lol.

That's really scary about the Polk County birds testing positive for bird flu. Yipes.

I can't wait for the Sedalia show April 16th! I'll see some of you BYC fans there!

Teddi- Sorry to hear about your birds being picked on. Chickens can be so mean to each other.

Headed to feed store this morning. I said it before, with this hard winter, my birds have eaten a ton. Way too much money in feed. Its time to let them munch on natural stuff like bugs, worms, grass, etc.

How many of you will keep your birds isolated that you get from Jacob's? It seem like we should know within a week if anyone is sick right? Does anyone actually keep them separate for a month?

So apparently we did not look at the feet of one of our birds before we bought it. I am posting pics below. Is this mites? It's my youngest son's favorite new bird so no regrets, just need to take care of his feet. Any help would be appreciated.

35620_chicken_feet_002.jpg

35620_chicken_feet_005.jpg

Been outside all day with birds. They are loving this weather as much as I am. Cleaning up yard, burning off garden, etc. Its about time.

Missy

Scaly leg mites. Soak them with wd40, or camphopheniqe. That will kill them. You can never get the legs to go back to normal, but it won't hurt the bird.

That sucks. You mean there is no way to make them look better after the mites are gone? My son will not be happy. It was my fault for not looking the birds over better. This was my fear- that someone would sell us something that was "damaged". They are gorgeous birds though.

MeFordz-How do the sale go today?

Took about 25-30 birds, sold over 50, so I guess I did alright. Leg mites can be a problem some times unfotunatly. It can make a beutiful bird not showable, but it doesn't hurt for a breeder as long as you get them killed off. What breed is the bird?

Teddi- I hope you find good homes for your chicks.

Missy- someone told me to use vasoline and smear it all over their legs and toes. Do this for about a week. I would try mefordz remedy then use the vasoline. I can't tell mine had them at all.

Jacob's Cave swap was a huge disappointment! It was nothing but a giant garage sale! The selection was terrible! Do you think that the high price of gas kept people away?

Oh well, at least I got my exercise! LOL

I really wish I had stayed home and worked outside. It was a beautiful day!

Mefordz- I am happy to hear you did well.

Back
Top Bottom