calling any one from missouri

Does anyone know who has some guinea keets (is that the right term for babies). My husband wants either guineas or ducks, from what I have read, guineas might be less messier, although louder. Of the two, anyone have any preference?

Last fall I ordered heritage turkeys from Porters Turkeys.
dindon1.gif

Minimum order was 15, and I only want about half that many.
I ordered a variety of breeds.
If anyone is interested in any (no shipping), let me know.
They ship beginning in April, and I have no idea how far down on the list I am. I am expecting they will arrive sometime April - June.

Last fall I ordered heritage turkeys from Porters Turkeys.
dindon1.gif

Minimum order was 15, and I only want about half that many.
I ordered a variety of breeds.
If anyone is interested in any (no shipping), let me know.
They ship beginning in April, and I have no idea how far down on the list I am. I am expecting they will arrive sometime April - June.

I'm in... how much are they? If you don't have anyone committed yet, and the price is do-able, I'll take the balance.

Does anyone know who has some guinea keets (is that the right term for babies). My husband wants either guineas or ducks, from what I have read, guineas might be less messier, although louder. Of the two, anyone have any preference?

Quote:
They sell for $10. each. I don't want to make any money off them. I paid for express shipping, and I will take that loss. Just the $10. each.
deal!

Quote:

I've got both (adult) but no keats or ducklings right now...
so as for which to order...
  • guineas are loud
  • duck hens are loud, but not as frequently as guineas
  • duck drakes are not loud, but you have to either have all drakes, or a balanced ratio of hens to drakes (3-8 hens per drake)
  • duck poop is messy and they poop wherever they go
  • guinea poop is messy, but mostly I see it where they roost, not as much all over (but it still depends on where they go)
  • if you have them in a pen, neither is a problem
  • ducks use a lot more water, but if you have a pool or pond, they'll make their mess there (we don't put water in with them at night so their night pen is dryer). if their pool or pond is in their pen, it will be wet and messy
  • ducks have to have enough water to get their heads submerged (for nostril cleaning) but will love you for giving them a pond
  • guineas don't need a pond, but will drink out if one.
  • guineas will roost in your trees or other inconvenient areas if left to their own choice, but you can teach them where to roost.
  • ducks want to be up all night, but will learn to go in their night pen if you teach them to.
  • we've lost both to coyotes, but only lost guineas to the hawks (mostly the light-colored ones)
  • some duck breeds are exceptional layers
  • guineas are much better at hiding their nests than ducks
  • some duck breeds lay nearly year round
  • guineas are seasonal layers
  • duck and guinea eggs are all tasty
  • ducks will eat bugs and slugs and snails
  • guineas will eat bugs and ticks
  • ducks will make a mudpie out of any area that's got standing water. and enlarge it with enthusiasm
  • ducks are goofy
  • guineas are nuts
  • and goofy.

there... does that help you decide?
lol.png

If you want to keep either with chickens in a coop I would not recommend Guineas just my opion though we had some we raised and trained to go into the coop at night and once they got older to the point of lay they started attacking our chickens. My ducks I havn't had a issue with them doing it though. I think if we would have not trained them to go in the coop they would have been better though.

Quote:

• guineas are loud
  • duck drakes are not loud, but you have to either have all drakes, or a balanced ratio of hens to drakes (3-8 hens per drake)
  • guinea poop is messy, but mostly I see it where they roost, not as much all over (but it still depends on where they go)
  • ducks use a lot more water, but if you have a pool or pond, they'll make their mess there (we don't put water in with them at night so their night pen is dryer). if their pool or pond is in their pen, it will be wet and messy
  • ducks have to have enough water to get their heads submerged (for nostril cleaning) but will love you for giving them a pond
  • guineas will roost in your trees or other inconvenient areas if left to their own choice, but you can teach them where to roost.
  • ducks want to be up all night, but will learn to go in their night pen if you teach them to.
  • we've lost both to coyotes, but only lost guineas to the hawks (mostly the light-colored ones)
  • ducks will make a mudpie out of any area that's got standing water. and enlarge it with enthusiasm
  • ducks are goofy
  • guineas are nuts
  • and goofy.

lol.png

Quote:

• guineas are loud
  • ducks are goofy
  • guineas are nuts
  • and goofy.

lol.png

x2

We've had both, and I've enjoyed both. To me, the guineas sound like a squeaky wheel, as opposed to the more familiar sound of a duck quack. We don't have neighbors, so it wasn't an issue.

We noticed a difference in the tick population. This is going to be a horrible year for ticks, since we didn't ever get super cold for very long.

Back
Top Bottom