calling any one from missouri

Hello all! I just accepted a job in southern Kansas City. I need to know where some good, safe areas to rent a house are. It will just be me and my two DD. I'm not concerned with schools. My youngest is 17. I just don't want to be in a "bad" part of town. I would prefer to be outside city limits too. Unfortunately I had to find my chickens a new home :( so I will eventually be starting over building a flock, someday. Also, do any of you homeschool? Or know of a good homeschool program that meets the MO requirements? Thank you! Ricki

Hello all! I just accepted a job in southern Kansas City. I need to know where some good, safe areas to rent a house are. It will just be me and my two DD. I'm not concerned with schools. My youngest is 17. I just don't want to be in a "bad" part of town. I would prefer to be outside city limits too. Unfortunately I had to find my chickens a new home
sad.png
so I will eventually be starting over building a flock, someday. Also, do any of you homeschool? Or know of a good homeschool program that meets the MO requirements? Thank you! Ricki

There is a guy on here that lives in the area you need to look. Herman63 is his BYC name and he lives in the first town in the rural side of KC. I will be hatching some chicks in March if you have your place by then.
John

Ok, I'm new to chicken ranching. How do I keep the hens in water thru the winter. I should say what is the best way. I have no electric to the coop. I can't run any because of dogs and chewing they will do.

I don't have any electric in my coop either... I have a 3 gallon waterer... and keep it out in the run all winter long.

To prevent it from freezing... I bring the waterer in the house overnight, top it off with warm tap water and set it out first thing in the morning when I go out there to scoop their coop. Takes about 9 hours for three gallons of slightly above room temp water to start freezing in temps between 20 and 30 degrees... longer in temps closer to freezing. The shortest day of the year is 9 and a half hours long... And they'll have been up for about an hour before you set that water out for them.

If temps dip into the teen and below during the day, which is rare but not impossible around these parts, I just microwave a few cups of water to near boiling and pour that into the tray which may be skinning over with ice. Usually around 3 in the afternoon... by the time it starts skinning over again, the girls are already tucking themselves in for the night and you're bringing the water inside to thaw out.

Chickens will eat snow for water too... so... if there's snow... you don't have to worry about it too much.

Here's my winter set up.

Here they are dustbathing in the run... during a snow storm... And you can kinda see the waterer there.

Last edited:
Hello all! I just accepted a job in southern Kansas City. I need to know where some good, safe areas to rent a house are. It will just be me and my two DD. I'm not concerned with schools. My youngest is 17. I just don't want to be in a "bad" part of town. I would prefer to be outside city limits too. Unfortunately I had to find my chickens a new home
sad.png
so I will eventually be starting over building a flock, someday. Also, do any of you homeschool? Or know of a good homeschool program that meets the MO requirements? Thank you! Ricki

Lots of great places to live outside of kansas city proper. You said your job is in southern kansas city, for that I would highly recommend Belton or Raymore. nice communities and good schools, I know you said you didn't need schools but that is why i moved down here from inside city limits.

sad.png
Is there a 'bad part of town' south of KC? LOL! I live about 45 minutes south of downtown KC and love it. Close enough to enjoy the city, but only if I want to. I'm sort of in the boonies. A rural area on a gravel road, plenty of room for my kids and critters to run amok without disturbing neighbors!
wee.gif
I have about 70 chickens and 12 ducks that are only penned at night, 6 horses, 2 llamas, 12 goats, 3 dogs (two of them are giant), a couple cats...

If you're job is south of KC you have all the options in the world. You can stay in town or it's just a short jaunt to more rural digs. Are you looking on the Kansas or Missouri side?

sad.png

There are a lot of nice homes in the Grandview Road, Red Bridge Road area, Blue River Road, and Blue Ridge Road areas... Kansas City is quite chicken friendly... we can actually have more chickens than Grandview, which is further out than we are. But I am sure you could find something int the Martin City, and Greenwood areas to fit your bill.

I would stay away from Anywhere east of 71 in Grandview area

Back
Top Bottom