calling any one from missouri

a poodle wasn't one on my list he/she must be something I'd hold on to.

for herding I am looking at an Australian Shepherd. We owned one when we lived in town and I loved her.
We are also looking at a 75/25 Great Pyrenees/Anatolin. He will be the guard dog but will not be available
until 2016. Which is fine. If I get the Australian shepherd in the spring he/she can be trained to the livestock
before the guard dog comes.
I'm still mulling over my choices and thoughts and have a couple more months of research before making my choice.
Always up for suggestions.

It would depend on what type of farm dog you were looking for. If you are wanting to protect sheep or goats, then a LGD like a Pyrenees would be in order. Ducks, sheep, goats or geese, a Border Collie would work them fine for you. Cattle? An Australian Cattle dog is what you want. I've heard that Catahoula Cur's are fantastic farm dogs.

We have five dogs, four of which could be categorized as farm dogs. The best is the Australian cattle dog. He's just an all round good dog. Tough as nails and sweet natured. Our Border Collie and Border Collie/terrier mix are more suspicious of strangers and the terrier mix is just sheer death on varmints such as mice, rats and voles.

Finding the right farm dog is like finding the right breed of chicken. Too many too choose from.

our chickens free range and sometimes they get a little far in the woods. I have to go in and round them out which I know an Aussie could easily be taught this. We had our Aussie in town 13 years before she died and she was a great herd dog with the kids, grandkids, strangers you name it she liked them where she could circulate around them.
We are getting goats in the summer. Two goats to start that I will let free range in the back 5 acres. We know this year we will have to lock them in the goat house to keep them safe at night. Next year I would like to have the pyre mix sleeping with the goats.
Awww homesteading one little plan at a time =)

shopping for those Cochin yet? I know I keep looking
duc.gif

Yep, I'm looking. So far the only one's I've seen are at Cackle Hatchery and they are bantams. My husband has hinted that maybe we could drive down to Lebanon this spring and look their stock over in person. I wouldn't mind going with Cochin bantams at all. The little roo I had was a Buff Cochin and he was just a doll. Sweet, funny very friendly and sired more than his share of bantams and bantam standard cross chicks than I could count. The hens loved him.....maybe a little too much thinking back,
wink.png

I have been thinking about goats. And then talking myself out of it. I keep remembering all the fun I had when I was a lot younger, haying and watering my horses when the temp out was 10 below. My chickens will be housed in the barn where we store our wood so taking care of them when we get a wagon load of wood wouldn't be a problem and take a lot less time.

I realized when changing my avatar to my cochins I don't have any updated pics. I'll have to get some in the morning.

I'm going with goats because they are an all around asset to the land, table and whatever you want to use goat milk for
from soaps and shampoos to cheese. I've chosen (I hope I spell this right) La Mancha. There is a quality breeder in Macon
and he loves taking his goats to shows. He was the one that got me interested when I was getting milk from him for my
grandson. I had no idea this goat would give milk all year round. A nice benefit for feeding out chickens and pigs in winter
or summer.
Not to mention the fertilizer! I'm expecting an awesome garden between the chickens and the goats
ya.gif

Well i took the bull by the horns today and emailed Cackle with a few questions. Tonight my husband and I did some figuring on what and how many. I've focused my attention on Buff Orpingtons for our layers. Good brooders, user friendly and good layers. I'm thinking 6 pullets 2 cockerels to start the flock and then fill in with 4 hopefully Cochin Bantams to make a dozen birds.

Man this is too much fun!

As for goats I'd always been partial to the Dwarf Nigerians or the fainting goats. As I get older, its the upkeep that I worry about with larger livestock. We had sheep when we first bought our farm. It was a joint venture with our Amish neighbor. When we told our vet he chuckled and asked us if we had dug the hole yet? Why? We asked. To bury them in he replied. After we buried a couple we began to understand what he meant, they just love to die, it seems to be their goal in life to see who can reach the pearly gates first. We decided then that rumenating animals weren't for us. I salute you. I would really love a few goats inspite of our bad luck with sheep.

Orpington is a great choice. I found a "Missouri Poultry Yearbook" online, there might be a breeder near you of "Standard" or "Exhibition" quality. The hens are suppose to lay fewer eggs than Cackle Hatchery hens but I can see a difference is the amount of meat in my Australorp and Brahma "Standard" flock, I bought both breeds from Cackle and another source. My Australorp Standard flock came from Duane Urch in Minnesota and my Brahma Standard flock came from a guy in Ohio. It all depends on the goals of the farmer, I want more meat than eggs. My Cackle Hatchery chickens are healthy and wonderful part of my flock.

My buckeye flock went to a new owner last evening. Now I need fewer roosters and do not need as many pens.

edited for grammar

Last edited:
Thanks ocap. I'm going over it while enjoying my morning coffee and found several that are within 'shouting distance' of us. The closest is near Kirksville and we are familiar with the area. I'll drop them an email this morning and see what happens.

Thanks ocap. I'm going over it while enjoying my morning coffee and found several that are within 'shouting distance' of us. The closest is near Kirksville and we are familiar with the area. I'll drop them an email this morning and see what happens.

I just checked my copy of American Standard of Perfection and found that the Orpington hen should weigh eight pounds, that can be one way to check if the breeder is trying to have a dual purpose Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom