calling any one from missouri

I'm new here and unsure where to post this. I live in KCMO and am wondering if I can build the coop in my unused garage if the neighbor homes are within 100 feet?

I'm new here and unsure where to post this. I live in KCMO and am wondering if I can build the coop in my unused garage if the neighbor homes are within 100 feet?

HI and Welcome!! I'm in Independence. New at this as well. Starting to build a coop this weekend and chicks will be here late next week. Finding lots of help and support on this site and have learned a lot.

I think I saw when hunting for chicken laws that KC had a limit of 6 hens, no roosters and the run and pen had to be at least 100 feet from a dwelling. You might want to call the dept in the city that handles codes enforcement and verify, the info on the net could be wrong or out of date. A neighbor of mine found ours and it is 5 hens and toward the back of our yards is fine as we have a park behind us and no dwellings.

Do you have a 100 feet rule?

If it's inside the garage does it apply? I know one neighbor I have is unfriendly and might not sign a waiver for us to use our large backyard. Thanks for writing!
HI and Welcome!! I'm in Independence. New at this as well. Starting to build a coop this weekend and chicks will be here late next week. Finding lots of help and support on this site and have learned a lot.

I think I saw when hunting for chicken laws that KC had a limit of 6 hens, no roosters and the run and pen had to be at least 100 feet from a dwelling. You might want to call the dept in the city that handles codes enforcement and verify, the info on the net could be wrong or out of date. A neighbor of mine found ours and it is 5 hens and toward the back of our yards is fine as we have a park behind us and no dwellings.

Urbanfarmerwoman, I had believed my neighbor and just went and found the code and it says up to 6 kept as pets no restrictions. There is another section stating that a coop or run cannot be closer than 50 feet from adjacent dwellings. I'll search for KC.

Do you have a 100 feet rule?

If it's inside the garage does it apply? I know one neighbor I have is unfriendly and might not sign a waiver for us to use our large backyard. Thanks for writing!

At the bottom is a link to the KCMO codes rulings. the chicken rules start in section 14.15
It has a bunch of rules there about required sanitation etc. but it's up to 15 hens and can't be within 100 feet of adjacent residences. for roosters 300 feet. Sorry you have a grouchy neighbor, makes me feel lucky.

My coop and run plans actually pretty closely to the 50ft regs on one side from the corner of my neighbor's attached garage. She doesn't care, I've talked to her : she is 89 and not in good health with a reverse mortgage so I need to be mindful of the codes when she dies her house will be sold by the bank. Lucky for me all is good with the neighbors within 2 houses of mine on both sides. I have one neighbor about a block away on the cul-de-sac that runs into my driveway that can be a jerk but they won't even know the pen is there, they don't walk in the park behind my house.

https://www.municode.com/library/mo/kansas_city/codes/code_of_ordinances

Last edited:
KC has some odd rules like spreading lime but if flies are an issue that might be a good solution. No idea if they are going to be mostly in the garage or where you are in KC so don't know the neighborhood.

I'm building a 4x6 raised coop with and 8x10 fenced run with the coop enclosed in the run. An interesting adventure as this gramma learns how to build a building with little help. 4 chicks arrive next week, my original plan was to build the coop/run this year and chicks next spring.

Karen, coons are a main reason I'm being cautious with my coop and run. Sorry bout your hen..I want to get solar motion sensor lights up in the backyard this summer as there is no light in my backyard. If it helps with coons as well that's an additional plus. Neighbor never thought about them digging under the fence.

I know I had a problem with coons being able to fit through a 4 x 4 inch space. That was the biggest spacings on some wire I used. Fortunately, I had a trail camera in there and saw the coon. He would come in the run and go right up to the door of the coop and try to figure out how to get in. Needless to say, I rectified that problem. I put a layer of smaller wire over the big spaces. Nothing else has gotten in since then (except for mice).
It's amazing what all a hungry animal can and will do to get something to eat.

Exactly or find a place to call home. The raided my attic through a 2x6 slit that they found or enlarged it by chewing smaller gap after tearing apart old siding on my fake chimney (only place that siding was). We had to trap 2 rounds of coon families before I could get it fixed-- weather, insurance claims, finding someone to do it that I could trust when I couldn't be here. $8000 later...

Karen, coons are a main reason I'm being cautious with my coop and run. Sorry bout your hen..I want to get solar motion sensor lights up in the backyard this summer as there is no light in my backyard. If it helps with coons as well that's an additional plus. Neighbor never thought about them digging under the fence.
This is really sad. I lost some baby chicks several years ago through chicken wire. Not sure what kind of critter, but only broke through 2-3 hexagons. I just got motion sensor lights today, so hope they help. Coop has hardware cloth now, of course!

Back
Top Bottom