calling any one from missouri

It doesn't take much of an opening for some of these critters to squeeze through, sorry you lost chicks. I wanted to start cutting and painting coop pieces and get my foundation started today but it's raining yet again With severe storms predicted I'm moving all the building supplies into my dining and living rooms so I can get my car in my small garage to avoid possible large hail.

It doesn't take much of an opening for some of these critters to squeeze through, sorry you lost chicks. I wanted to start cutting and painting coop pieces and get my foundation started today but it's raining yet again With severe storms predicted I'm moving all the building supplies into my dining and living rooms so I can get my car in my small garage to avoid possible large hail.

We had the rain and severe storms predicted for today, but we didn't end up getting any hail.
But when we got home this evening from a friends house, I checked on my 3 turkeys. They hadn't gone into the coop since I moved them to the larger area. The barred rock chicken (hen) was bullying them. ( I figured they were just working out the pecking order and was going to give it another couple of days and then if things hadn't settled down I was going to move the barred rock to a different coop. Anyway, when I went to check on the turkeys, 1 was dead and a 2nd was injured. I'm sure it was raccoons. The dead one is missing her entire head and neck and 1 wing. The coon was able to reach up under the metal flashing I had attached over the wire of the run and grab the turkey through the wire. If they had gone in the coop, they would have been safe.

I am hoping the 2nd turkey will make it! She looks pretty bad but I think they just pulled a large piece of skin off of her head. So, as long as no one pecks her and she doesn't get an infection, I hope she will pull through. I brought her and the 3rd turkey in and put them in the large 50 gallon aquarium (no water of course!) in the spare bedroom. I have a red heat lamp on them. They were damp from the rain (again, because they didn't go in the coop!). I did get the injured turkey to drink some water, so .... time will tell.

Karen, I am so sorry to hear this! It's amazing how little space it takes for critters to get through. Best wishes for the injured ones! How old are your turkeys again, since they fit into the aquarium?
I have to redo parts of my coop addition to address some gaps in the roof. I used some corrugated fiberglass sheeting from Home Depot, but it has little gaps from the wavy part.
Thanks for sharing your story, although I know it's hard. It's also a reminder to all of us to be fastidious about predator proofing.

Awww Karen so sad. Hope the injured one does OK. I used to work with someone that her family owned a turkey farm in NH. They would have to herd the turkeys inside as they would not usually go in on their own. They had a few " drown "by raising their heads and drinking the rain water as it was coming down.

The hail went south of us as well, just a lot of rain and small storms off and on all day.

Coons can squeeze in teeny spaces. My roof will be exterior plywood with white metal roofing over that as it gets sun all afternoon. Hopefully it will be safe from the area's coons.

So far the injured turkey is doing great! They are a little over 5 weeks old. The aquarium is a 75 gallon. We bought some welded wire mesh to put around the bottom of the run.
Karen, I am so sorry to hear this! It's amazing how little space it takes for critters to get through. Best wishes for the injured ones! How old are your turkeys again, since they fit into the aquarium?

Awww Karen so sad. Hope the injured one does OK. I used to work with someone that her family owned a turkey farm in NH. They would have to herd the turkeys inside as they would not usually go in on their own. They had a few " drown "by raising their heads and drinking the rain water as it was coming down.
Coons can squeeze in teeny spaces. My roof will be exterior plywood with white metal roofing over that as it gets sun all afternoon. Hopefully it will be safe from the area's coons.

Karen, is your turkey still ok?

My chicks ship tomorrow so am setting up the brooder. Had one set, decided it was too small so re-doing one longer. I finished up a building plan which of course is open to revision along the way. At least I feel more confident about building it. It will be on a slight slope so next project is leveling it while continuing to cut pieces and giving them a 1st coat of paint before assembling them.

Hi Jeria, yes, so far she is still doing good. She tore her scabbing open the other day. It looks like she scratched her head with her foot (toenail did the damage). I am waiting for her head to get a good scab before I put her back outside ( don't want any flies getting to it). I also need to replace the wire on the bottom, that was on the to do list for today, but my husband forgot to take the roll of wire out of his van before he left for work. So, now it's on tomorrows to do list.
A slight slope will help any water drain away. One problem we are having with the coop I need to re wire is that the water just stands instead of draining away. We have been trying to fix it because it makes it a stinky, muddy mess!! I'm excited for you that your chicks are shipping out tomorrow!! I hope they all have a safe trip.
Edited to fix typos

Back
Top Bottom