calling any one from missouri

HI! chicks are home!! The photos so far are red from the heat lamp so don't look very good. Will try to take some when they are a bit settled away from the heat lamp. They are all active, eating and drinking. So YAY! I put some nutra-drench in their water and will for the next little bit. They are very busy also picking up the pine shavings. Chickjoy I couldn't hear them chirping at the post office till they brought the box upfront. Teeny peeps. The EE's are currently shades of brown, beige and black markings.

HI! chicks are home!! The photos so far are red from the heat lamp so don't look very good. Will try to take some when they are a bit settled away from the heat lamp. They are all active, eating and drinking. So YAY! I put some nutra-drench in their water and will for the next little bit. They are very busy also picking up the pine shavings. Chickjoy I couldn't hear them chirping at the post office till they brought the box upfront. Teeny peeps. The EE's are currently shades of brown, beige and black markings.
Wonderful news!! Enjoy!!!!!

IMG_0458.JPG My 4 day old bity flock. The Australorp is the Sassy one with an attitude. She is also the smallest.

On a much different note...I came home and checked on my 11 week old chicks 2 days ago. There are 10 of them in the coop. The white crested black polish was laying in the corner. I pulled her out to find that some other chick (s) had pecked her head so badly that about 75% of her head feathers were gone, and her head a bloody mess. I really couldn't clean her up very well so put neosporin ointment on. This seems to keep the scab more moist. I was happy to see her drink and eat some that first night because she was so weak. Yesterday was better and she clearly walked around the cage and I had to refill the water and food. She is perching on top of the water today so she looks like she will recover. She has large bruise on top of her head. Am wondering if polish have an odd shaped head or if it's injury. So sad.
Plan to get a cabbage head to hang in the coop today so they have more to do. Am not putting my pullet back in there until she heals up completely but do any of you know how long I should wait?

I usually put a "friend" in with anyone in sickbay. That way they have a partner when they rejoin the flock. I think it is less stressful that way. HOwever, in your case it would have to be a chick that wasn't going to inflict further damage. With my turkeys, when one had a bad head injury, I kept them inside for about 4 or 5 days.

View attachment 1030553 My 4 day old bity flock. The Australorp is the Sassy one with an attitude. She is also the smallest.
I don't know why I quit getting alerts on this thread. I was checking back to see if your chicks arrived yet. I see that they have! How goes their coop? Chicks are so much fun to watch and interact with. Make sure you interact with them. It helps make them people friendlier, I think.

I've been going down every hour or 2 to check on them. Each time, except one when they were all asleep, I pick each up and rub their breast and check for poop stuck on their feathers. I put the grit in the crate and added apple cider vinegar to the water as 2 had poopy butts yesterday morning. They are munching on the grit as well as their food. The 2 EE's seem to be the calmest so far when handled.

Am hauling dirt and cement blocks to the back to level the coop/run area and cutting and putting a coat of paint on all the structure timbers. I live on a river bluff so my yard is sloped no real flat space. In this humidity it takes a while for the paint to dry so I can flip them over. I still need more wood but am doing the ones I have. The main goal this weekend is to get it leveled, the hardware cloth skirting down and the patio bricks laid in place. With the humidity messing with my asthma it's meaning lost of extra breaks.

With this heat, lots of breaks is definitely a good idea. No sense getting hurt in the process. Asthma is definitely nothing to mess around with, but I'm sure you know that.
Another good idea is to start using a call or a sound when you go in to see them. Especially if you are ringing them food or treats. They will learn to associate you with good things. My hickens all come running when I call them. Sometimes they all come running when they hear me go outside. They also know the sound of my car and come running to the fence when they hear me come home. Have fun with them!

I've been dealing with the asthma since the mid 80's so have learned to pay attention to my body. My awesome doc is also a sports medicine doc. I work out so she has helped me work out ways to cope with it as it has gotten worse as I get older. Hate it but on days like this it also means extra drugs to do anything but sit around-- that isn't me. Just takes me longer to accomplish what I want to.

LOL my dogs and my cat hear my car, so not surprised at chicks. I haven't tried any treats yet since this is day 2 of having them. Good idea on a standard greeting of some sort.

I don't think they have a pasty butt issue, just some poop getting stuck to fluff. I'm cleaning those bits off as I check every couple of hours. One EE lets me hold her on her back like my parrot does without any struggle. I know it's a trust thing. They didn't drink quite as much as they did the 1st day. Guessing they were a bit dehydrated.

SE MO peeps ---this Saturday, poultry swap in Neosho.

Southside Feed
FREE Poultry Swap @ SouthSide Feed 1451 Industrial Dr. Neosho, Mo. (417) 451-0411
This Saturday 6/10/17, Starts around 7:30 am. till the last person leaves.
Come join the FUN !!! Buy, Sell, and Trade any Birds and/or Small caged livestock !!

Back
Top Bottom