calling any one from missouri

I decided to drive to Lone Elk Park on the other side of town to be in the total zone because it wasn't happening at my house. It was about a minute and 20 seconds. The World Bird Sanctuary next door was full of tourists. I suppose to see the birds' reactions. There was plenty of space in the park. I was at a shelter in one of the valleys but there were a bunch of cars up on the main park road. When it went total, the cheers from the top of the hill were pretty loud. Sky was pretty clear and the traffic going to the park was non existent. HOWEVER, it was a parking lot driving back home.
I'm glad I did it.

A beautiful Saturday but the pollen and mold counts are sky high so it's breaks again for me, more than I like or I would have the coop secure tonight. The coop is almost so I can put the chicks in tomorrow. I have one set of latches to install and a couple trim pieces. Time for them to be out of the basement. They are beginning to get stinky. It will still need a roost and the nest box installed.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Feeling badly for those in the path of the hurricane. I fear we may hear some sad tales from members in that area in the coming weeks.

A beautiful Saturday but the pollen and mold counts are sky high so it's breaks again for me, more than I like or I would have the coop secure tonight. The coop is almost so I can put the chicks in tomorrow. I have one set of latches to install and a couple trim pieces. Time for them to be out of the basement. They are beginning to get stinky. It will still need a roost and the nest box installed.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Feeling badly for those in the path of the hurricane. I fear we may hear some sad tales from members in that area in the coming weeks.

Glad you're making progress on your coop. My chicks were quite large by the time I moved them into the coop.

I've been busy making alterations to mine. I added a bin to hold my feed -- basically a big wood box with hinged lid and latch. I put 4 tall kitchen trashcans in it. Made sure the lid fits snug, so hopefully no mice can get in. I did have the feed in metal trashcans inside the coop, but they took up a lot of room. I also removed the windows that I hung on the inside of the coop and will rehang them on the outside tomorrow. They are hinged at the top so that the bottom lifts up and out. The windows have hardware cloth and metal window screen on them.

I'm also planning to build a tall narrow cupboard to keep cleaning and medical supplies.

Had what I think was a prairie falcon make a grab for one of my chickens this afternoon, so they are all sequestered to house & run till I can figure out a solution.

Oh my, hope your chicken is ok after the run in with the falcon. I have hawk who loves to sit on the wires behind my house.

What a good idea for your feed, not sure yet where mine will end up. I'm putting my window in so that I can open it from the outside, it is still just hardware cloth. If we have any severe weather forecast or strong winds with rain I will put something temp up to block the rain from soaking the interior. The other window will have a solid door as it is on the north side. Right now I simply want secure first.

Oh my, hope your chicken is ok after the run in with the falcon. I have hawk who loves to sit on the wires behind my house.

What a good idea for your feed, not sure yet where mine will end up. I'm putting my window in so that I can open it from the outside, it is still just hardware cloth. If we have any severe weather forecast or strong winds with rain I will put something temp up to block the rain from soaking the interior. The other window will have a solid door as it is on the north side. Right now I simply want secure first.

My girl is doing great -- I checked her over again this morning. Now worried about my dogs because they are even smaller than the chickens.

Yeah, I had the windows hung on the outside and some rain would come in if not closed all the way, but then it would be too hot. I'll probably have to put a strip of vinyl over the hinge area to keep water from running between coop wall and window. Might have to temp hang something over windows for tonight as it looks like rain in forecast. The glazing putty is still too gooey.

Good to hear that your chick is doing OK. What kind of dogs do you have? I would probably be concerned also. I haven't figured out the window yet. It is on the west side so for me also it will need some sort of protection over the hinges.

Have the coop secure I hope except the temp cover for the nest box opening, that won't take long. The rain moved in so have to wait for it to let up. I won't complain as we aren't in Texas. Guess it will show me where the it will get wet. Time to do a few other things I guess besides work on the coop.

Good to hear that your chick is doing OK. What kind of dogs do you have? I would probably be concerned also. I haven't figured out the window yet. It is on the west side so for me also it will need some sort of protection over the hinges.

Have the coop secure I hope except the temp cover for the nest box opening, that won't take long. The rain moved in so have to wait for it to let up. I won't complain as we aren't in Texas. Guess it will show me where the it will get wet. Time to do a few other things I guess besides work on the coop.

I have 2 chihuahuas. Old male with 1 eye -- adopted from the shelter about 10 or 11 years ago; female around 4 years found running down the street and nobody claimed her. The dogs are smaller than the chickens, so they could end up a meal too.

Today a friend of mine came over to help me get some fiberglass patio panels on the roof of the enclosure. I had 1 up, but afraid to climb onto the roof without someone to hold the ladder. The panels cover about 3/4 of their yard so will hopefully keep rain from going in their side door. Still haven't put the windows back on, so tacked up a cheap shower curtain I cut up. I left it loose at the bottom for ventilation. It sprinkled a tiny bit just as I finished, but that was it so far.

No lie -- glad we aren't having the Texas flooding. Those poor folks and their animals :(

Used to have a Chihuahua pom mix who weighed 7 pounds and was fluff. Yup smaller than chickens. Without the fluff I would be concerned as well-- they are usually pretty feisty pups though.

I put a board up covering most about 3/4 of the window on the west. The coop should still have plenty of ventilation as it isn't supposed to get insanely hot this week.

The chicks are in the coop tonight! YAY! I moved them about 4pm after the rain quit and I finished blocking the nest box hole. They seem to be liking the space but in the dark are all huddled in a corner. It's warmer outside than indoors so it's not due to cold.

The photos from Texas look awful, so much flooding.

Back
Top Bottom