calling any one from missouri

Here in NW we have 2 days in the 60's predicted. Wed and Thurs. then 50' s for the weekend. 40's today. No frozen chicken waterer for a few days!!

My roo definitely needs to work off some energy. I wish I could let him outside without him getting out of the fence. He could fly over it. Might try it for awhile this weekend. Hoping Steven can come to take him.

61 here....my neighbor came over with valentines cookies (she needed eggs, lol) and she saw the scarecrow in the chicken run, thought it was me and walked over there! :p So far so good w the sparrows. They're staying away. The windy day really helps the scarecrow look real.

Okay, here's my new clothes hanger scarecrow. I put my hat and old glasses on it and it looks just like me, lol.
View attachment 1260607
she doesn't have any feet. I will be moving it around to alarm the sparrows. Maybe I'll have to make a whole army of them. The sparrows have been eating a LOT of feed...and I'm tired of feeding them.
View attachment 1260608

18 here this morning and the world is crunchy w ice covering everything. The sparrows and juncos were waiting for me when I brought out chicken feed. They are avoiding the coop's porch where I hung the scarecrow so I moved all food bowls to close to it. I watched for a while, the chickens make a half hearted effort to chase them away. The birds are probably starving.
My sister in VA wrote this morning and said they bought a pellet gun yesterday to kill or deter sparrows that attack their bluebird box. She said last year she put up a fluttering whirligig to scare them away, but they got used to it.

Sue - your new chicks are adorable. Thanks for sharing your Cackle experience. I've kinda wondered what it was like there. And I really like that scarecrow.

I'm curious if you have regular bird feeders out. I've got a lot of birds here, including sparrows, but that doesn't seem to deter the others. I always have between 1 and 4 feeders full at all times, plus suet blocks. I also throw some of the dusty bottom of the bowl chicken feed out for the wild birds or other critters. I also keep the chicken feeders inside the coop, so that probably helps to deter the wild birds.

I forgot who was catching birds in their mousetraps - you might try placing a 3-sided box (top & sides) over the mousetraps.

61 here....my neighbor came over with valentines cookies (she needed eggs, lol) and she saw the scarecrow in the chicken run, thought it was me and walked over there! :p So far so good w the sparrows. They're staying away. The windy day really helps the scarecrow look real.
:lau

Sue - your new chicks are adorable. Thanks for sharing your Cackle experience. I've kinda wondered what it was like there. And I really like that scarecrow.

I'm curious if you have regular bird feeders out. I've got a lot of birds here, including sparrows, but that doesn't seem to deter the others. I always have between 1 and 4 feeders full at all times, plus suet blocks. I also throw some of the dusty bottom of the bowl chicken feed out for the wild birds or other critters. I also keep the chicken feeders inside the coop, so that probably helps to deter the wild birds.

I forgot who was catching birds in their mousetraps - you might try placing a 3-sided box (top & sides) over the mousetraps.

I used to feed the wild birds. But I am distressed that the English sparrows have taken over and chased away most of the native species. I am not thrilled to care for them. Bird seed costs more than chicken feed. I do put out scratch for them when it's snowy or icy.

The chicks are growing their crests now! They look like tiny dinosaurs,lol......
Fritz has a crest! (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom