calling any one from missouri

I use a bird bath heater in duck and Jane s water dish and a heated dog bowl for Howard. It hasn't seemed to have increase my electric bill too bad.
I have a heater too and it’s been doing a good job so far. But the pond filter I bought last week hasn’t had enough time to keep the water clear. It has a fountain attached and it gets froze over when it comes out of the water. So I had to turn it off. But I’m curious to see if it can keep up with them. I plan on collecting rain water also.

I’ve also had trouble getting my pond to drain. It gets sludge on the bottom and then takes forever to drain. I might have to rethink the drain I have in there.

I have a heater too and it’s been doing a good job so far. But the pond filter I bought last week hasn’t had enough time to keep the water clear. It has a fountain attached and it gets froze over when it comes out of the water. So I had to turn it off. But I’m curious to see if it can keep up with them. I plan on collecting rain water also.

I’ve also had trouble getting my pond to drain. It gets sludge on the bottom and then takes forever to drain. I might have to rethink the drain I have in there.
we will have to make sure we compare notes. :cool:

18 here this morning and the world is crunchy w ice covering everything. The sparrows and juncos were waiting for me when I brought out chicken feed. They are avoiding the coop's porch where I hung the scarecrow so I moved all food bowls to close to it. I watched for a while, the chickens make a half hearted effort to chase them away. The birds are probably starving.
My sister in VA wrote this morning and said they bought a pellet gun yesterday to kill or deter sparrows that attack their bluebird box. She said last year she put up a fluttering whirligig to scare them away, but they got used to it.

nipple bottles (3 of 1).jpg
Major milestone w the chicks. I had a nipple bottle that they had pretty much ignored in favor of the mason jar type. The day before yesterday they began trying out the bottle, so we made a second, since each only has one nipple. They became entranced w drinking out of these bottles. They were completely ignoring the regular waterer which I was happy to remove as it's a pita to keep clean.

I put some insulation around my vertical nipples then added the bottom of a second bucket with a 250 watt submersible heater and it's been tested down to 1°F.

vert-nipple01.jpg vert-nipple02.jpg vert-nipple03.jpg vert-nipple04.jpg

I had to put the empty bottom from the regular waterer under the nipple waterer in the brooder before they got it lol.

JT

what???!! It's only 8º out there this morning....I thought this would be a warmish morning. No wonder it's so cold in the house. Forecast says it will rise above freezing by 11 am. But for now, still slick out there....

Last edited:
run-circles.gif
run-circles.gif
The sky is falling! the sky is falling!
Things are thawing out quite nicely here. . just watch out for falling ice chunks from the trees!

I may or may not know this from experience :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom