calling any one from missouri

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by missourichickenmama, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I did get the fans installed in the garden shed to be converted 1/2 to a coop today.

roost-fans-01.jpg

I still need to box them in so they draw air from the outside only. They are located above the roost table.

12x16-coop-02.jpg

JT

2. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    @shawluvsbirds did you know about the new Atwoods? A big new building on the north side of that traffic circle in Webb City.

3. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    @SueT how are the chicks doing?

JT

4. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    All chicks doing well. Getting big, growing wing feathers. The lives of the chicks outdoors with hen is a big contrast to that of the brooder chicks. The little orphans are best buddies. I moved them from the cat carrier to a larger brooder. I'll try to get decent photos today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Have any of you heard of oak mites???????? Apparently chiggers aren't the only scourge here. The oak mites live in pin oak trees and blow in the wind...here's a local news story from Kansas City:
    https://fox4kc.com/2018/05/16/get-r...oak-mites-will-invade-once-again-this-summer/

5. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    brooder chicks
    orphans1.jpg orphans2.jpg
    outdoor chicks have no trouble using the 'stairs' I made. 1 week old and so nimble!
    stairs 1.jpg stairs 2.jpg chick on brick.jpg
    Everyone moves so fast, hard to get non blurry photos!

Attached Files:

6. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Not the best picture due to distance... but this little fawn came by to sniff the lilies this morning ... ignore the log, I had to take that tree down and didn’t get back to the log yet
    EF5212F7-DC0D-4E4D-9BF7-1CB63AB3F0DD.jpeg

7. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    I know oak mites only from the KC news, lol... luckily we didn’t have them when we lived up there... and I don’t think we have them here... but I should read that article ... because I do get itchy here lately when I’m out ...and not sure why... so maybe we do have them :idunno

8. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Apparently they blow for miles on the wind, so they may come your way. No repellent will stop them from accidentally landing on you! They even blow thru your window screens! Chiggers seem so innocuous in comparison. Article says, "It was only back in 2004 that we saw the first big outbreak of oak mites in Pittsburg, Kansas, and also here in Kansas City." Pittsburg is 30 miles from us. I have been so itchy, I actually went to clinic, and they guessed oak mites. I had never heard of them. Take antihistamine, she said. There's no escape! [​IMG]
    an oak mite.png

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  9. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    A couple pics of the adventure chicks: (there are still 3, just couldn't get a good shot with everyone in it.)
    6 days mama w 2.jpg
    6 days babies under.jpg

10. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Good morning everyone! It has been raining all night. Yesterday, guess who came back! That cucumber turtle! It's the same box turtle I relocated over a mile away a few years ago, but returned 3 months later. The cucumbers are in bloom, and it must have known....I am so happy it is still alive! It is welcome to eat what cukes it can reach!
    cucumber turtle.jpg cucumber turtle2.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: