calling any one from missouri

Don't be afraid! LOL! She's a little much, really. I've had a total of 28 goats so far and nobody has ever been able to fly like her. My fat Boer/Savanna girl has managed to power herself over the fence with Daisy but she sort of falls over the top of it. I watched her contemplating a leap just this afternoon and she thought better of it. She's REALLY pregnant, due Thursday in fact. She tried the other day and barely made it over. I don't think it felt too good because she hasn't tried again. Hopefully this was enough to break her.

You know, now that I'm really thinking about it, my pygmies were my escape artists. I had two bucks, a doe and several kids for a couple years. I ultimately gave away the boys to be weed eaters. I had finally resorted to keeping them in my horse stalls and when they couldn't find a way out, they bashed and bashed and bashed until they knocked the doors off the hinges or broke the screws holding on the latches! Small but mighty!!

What I've learned from all my goaties is that they learn from each other! If you don't want a whole herd of fence jumpers, get rid of the one that figures it out. Once the others see it, they try it. One of my doelings started trying to leap out with Daisy this summer and she ended up hanging in the fence, all four legs tangled up. We got her out quick and she was ok, but she gave up trying after that. Thank goodness. I'm hoping that Daisy will give it up when she's good and pregnant and has a big ol' udder.

I also had to make a sacrafice to keep peace in the herd. One of my first does was beautiful and an excellent mother. She produced large, adorable, healthy kids, yadda yadda. But she was a bully to the other goats. They are born competitive but she was down right mean to the other girls and kids. She almost killed Mette and gored one of the other girls as well as traumatizing all the kids. I couldn't believe the difference in the herd after I got rid of her. EVERYONE got to sleep in the shed at night, feeding time was calmer, just everything was calmer.

The two here that probably do the least to draw attention to themselves are a Nubian/Myotonic doe and her half Boer daughter. They're easy going, friendly, generally calm and pretty. I'd have more Nubian breeding in my herd if I wasn't shooting for more muscle mass. They just aren't meaty! But both those girls are absolute pets, so I've bred them to my new Boer/Savanna buck so they can earn their keep while they get their cheek massages and goodies twice a day. LOL!

For the rest of the folks on the list who came here to talk CHICKENS
D.gif
... I'll continue this conversation in PM form. Sorry guys. I wasn't trying to hijack the forum.

Thanks for the info lungewhipqueen. It really also sets my mind at ease.
Also, I too am sorry for going all goat in this thread.
duc.gif
I just got so excited to talk to other folks in Missouri who have the kind of goats I want to raise. I'll stay on topic from here on out.

Last edited:
Don't apologize too much for it's been interesting reading about goats. Techinically, this is the Missouri thread...not just chickens, but anything to do with Missourians. I understand about taking up everyone's attention about it however. I have thought of getting goats (grass eating and milk) but thankfully, I haven't done much but just have a thought about it.

CG

I also think that this thread can be anything going on with Missouri members, chickens are primary but BYC has pages for specific conversations and this is a general thread. so.....chickens, turkeys, guineas, goats, horses, rabbits..................I just need to stay within the BYC rules and I have not had enough time to commit them all to memory.
lau.gif

Thanks for the info lungewhipqueen. It really also sets my mind at ease.
Also, I too am sorry for going all goat in this thread.
duc.gif
I just got so excited to talk to other folks in Missouri who have the kind of goats I want to raise. I'll stay on topic from here on out.

I am not getting goats but, I enjoyed the talk. Don't have a problem

I really hope no one is complaining about talking about goats...I have enjoyed this part of the site because everyone gets along and there are no meanies. I can not say that about every thread I have been on. Some get upset if you ask questions, and just want to brag. Please stay nice to each other.

Don't feel bad. I've got that too. Don't worry, if anybody starts a flame war we send the amazing flying Dasiy to land on their head
lol.png

LOL, The amazing flying Daisy.... too funny. I'm glad no one is bothered by the "off topic" conversation. When talking about my critters, I really can go on and on and on...

I guess in my mind the goats and chickens and my two llamas are sort of lumped together in one big "flock". They're housed right beside each other in my backyard. And in the warmer months I spend HOURS out there watching their antics. Yesterday I went out and found a barred rock mix riding around on Daisy's back! They crack me up! I have a little fire pit out there and a couple tables and lots of chairs. The whole family chills out there with me sometimes. In fact, my son and I sleep out there in lawn chairs under the stars in the summer. It's fun to literally wake up with the chickens!

LOL, The amazing flying Daisy.... too funny. I'm glad no one is bothered by the "off topic" conversation. When talking about my critters, I really can go on and on and on...

I guess in my mind the goats and chickens and my two llamas are sort of lumped together in one big "flock". They're housed right beside each other in my backyard. And in the warmer months I spend HOURS out there watching their antics. Yesterday I went out and found a barred rock mix riding around on Daisy's back! They crack me up! I have a little fire pit out there and a couple tables and lots of chairs. The whole family chills out there with me sometimes. In fact, my son and I sleep out there in lawn chairs under the stars in the summer. It's fun to literally wake up with the chickens!
fun to look at the early evening sky and be the first in the group to spot a satellite or see how many meteors the group can spot
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom