calling any one from missouri

I've added a shelf to this rack since the photo and use a water timer to mist them. I have 8 aluminum pans now so they get the sprouts on the ninth day. Never any left on the ground after a hour or so.
12-12-17.jpg
JT

WOW JT !!! quite the set up. Mine will probably be a 1/4 steam table restaurant pan--about 12" x 8" about 2 inches deep. or 2 sitting on a shelf in my kitchen or dining room....LOL.

Hi Jeria,
I haven't been online in a long time either. Just too darn busy! Sorry to hear that you have the flu. So far my family has been able to avoid it. My daughter did end up in the hospital January 2nd through the January 4th. She had had surgery December 20th to have some lymph nodes removed for biopsy. Everything turned out great as far as the biopsy results are concerned, but she got cellulitis at the surgery site (Left groin area). So we spent 5 hours in the ER on January 2nd. They admitted her to the hospital, but it was so full that her "room" turned out to be the hallway of the ER until 11AM the next morning. At that time they moved her to the Cardiac Cath lab! They sent up temporary rooms there because they were so full! That 2nd day they said there were still 63 people in ER waiting for a room in the hospital. Flu has hit our area really hard!! My daughter was on IV antibiotics every 6 to 8 hours around the clock for 3 days and then discharged with oral antibiotics every 6 hours around the clock for the next 5 days. However, we are all really glad that she is out of the hospital!
I am jealous that some of you had temps in the 30's and 40's today. Our high was 22 degrees. I have been having a hard time getting my eggs collected before they freeze also. It has also been keeping the chickens and turkeys in liquid water. It keeps freezing so fast! My egg production is down and I think it is mainly due to decrease in water that they are drinking. 1 coop has a heated dog water bowl in it but the other 2 coops and the turkey coop don't have electricity. So I have been carting water out for them in the morning, but by the time I get home from work, it is already getting dark again and the birds have gone to roost so there isn't any point in taking out fresh water because it will just be frozen by morning.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm and safe in these freezing temperatures!

Cellulitis is miserable -- I get mild cellulitis in my rebuilt leg every now and then. I had one node out in my groin and it wasn't too bad, but then had 21 removed in my underarm and that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I hope your daughter recovers well from her surgery.

I've been hearing that this is one of the worst flu seasons in Missouri. We've been able to escape it too -- hope our luck holds out.

As for water dishes where no electricity is available, I've read some online tips to try such as placing the bowl in a larger bowl (or a tire) with rock salt in between, bury the bowl, float a ping pong ball on the water. As a last resort maybe run a good outdoor extension cord and seal the connections really well??

Cellulitis is miserable -- I get mild cellulitis in my rebuilt leg every now and then. I had one node out in my groin and it wasn't too bad, but then had 21 removed in my underarm and that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I hope your daughter recovers well from her surgery.

I've been hearing that this is one of the worst flu seasons in Missouri. We've been able to escape it too -- hope our luck holds out.

As for water dishes where no electricity is available, I've read some online tips to try such as placing the bowl in a larger bowl (or a tire) with rock salt in between, bury the bowl, float a ping pong ball on the water. As a last resort maybe run a good outdoor extension cord and seal the connections really well??
Yes, she had a bundle of lymph nodes removed from her groin. She was having more pain than it seemed like they indicated that she would, but now she is doing very well. She still has more antibiotics to take but she can go back to work on Thursday.

We have a couple of good heavy duty outdoor extension cords and are thinking of doing exactly that with them. My hubby ordered a bird bath de-icer that we are going to try in one coop and I think he is going to make another to use in a 2nd coop. Then we can compare their effectiveness.

MMM rock salt never though of that. Power for me in the back isn't an option without spending big bucks. Extension cords would have to go out an open window!! That's why I'm thinking hunting something solar for next year.

I definitely would NOT put it out an open window, because then you become the ice cube!! I would be worried that my silly birds would somehow manage to eat the rock salt.
I have tried putting a water container inside a car tire and fill in the inside of the tire with dirt. It didn't really help and that was last winter when it wasn't as could as it has been! I've been bringing in the water at night to let it thaw and then taking it back out in the morning and hoping that they hurry and drink their fill before it freezes.

I did get 4 eggs today and none of them were frozen, but I didn't get any from 2 coops.

Back
Top Bottom