calling any one from missouri

It's even cold down here in SEMO and we just got 1" of rain in a couple of hours. I've been to Mexico a few times to pick up tractor parts for my '56 Ferguson F40. Always make a point to visit Swiss Meat company for brats when I'm close to Swiss MO. Pretty country up that way.

JT
Swiss is closer to me than Hermann is. Swiss Meats is extremely tasty!
Siss, Mo huh? I've never heard of that. Maybe I can go check that out when I take my folks to see Hermann. I have not had much chance to get out and about since moving here -- always busy with the animals, yardwork, etc. One of these days -- I better make time soon.
I definitely recommend Swiss Meats. Just take 19 south out of Hermann. Of course Hermann has some good eats as well.

We got a slight amt of sleet whitening the ground. All the nipple waterers froze and I brought them in for the nite bcz it's gonna be above freezing by 9 am.

You have beautiful chickens :) Love the picture of you training your chicken. Are you using treats to coax her or?? I also have that "they hate eachother" feeling at times. When I take out special meals or treats now I take 3 bowls. One for the older chickens, one for the young pullets and one for the young cockerels. Sometimes I will put the young pullets in the in-coop brooder so they can eat unbothered.

We've still been getting bald eagles and other large birds flying over quite often, so I haven't been letting them out as often or as long as I'd like to. Every time I get lax in thinking they are okay while I go in to eat lunch or something, I'll come out to see the birds circling overhead. Ugh... I don't want the wild birds to leave, yet I don't want my flock eaten either.

I think I would freak out if I saw someone carry my chickens by their feet, even if they are going to make a meal of them. I've snatched up a few of the young cockerels that way when they've gotten aggressive with me, but....

We had about 3-1/4" here several days ago. The chicken yard is mostly dry on the part that has the panels overhead, but the remainder is wet, but not flooded. The part that had all the water was all across one side of coop and run so that I have a large swath of mud. It was like a river running past it for much of the day. I think I should probably put down a bit of gravel in front of the doors.

On Monday night I kept hearing this peep peep noise coming from the backyard. I finally went out to investigate and found a tiny squirrel face down in a pool of muddy water. It's a female eastern gray squirrel about 6 weeks old maybe. Thank goodness I didn't ignore it or she would have drowned or froze to death. She's doing really well and getting more active by the day. I tried a couple of times to put her out in a clear container for mama to find her, but no squirrels came out. So I'll take care of her until she's ready to be returned to the wild. I am just loving her....
View attachment 1319625
This was later the night I found her

View attachment 1319626
earlier today
:love:love Such a cute squirrel. Do they stay wild or are they more tame when you hand raise them?

Swiss, Mo huh? I've never heard of that. Maybe I can go check that out when I take my folks to see Hermann. I have not had much chance to get out and about since moving here -- always busy with the animals, yardwork, etc. One of these days -- I better make time soon.

We always come home with 20 or more packs of mushroom and swiss brats and I don't like mushrooms lol. There's a cinnamon one too that is very good.

JT

Do you use vertical nipples?

JT
Right, I do, verticals. We bought a big pack of them and set up 2 buckets and then 3 bottles not thinking about winter. Used a heated dog bowl all winter. I have time now to figure out next winter! I'll have to look up your heated bucket pics before then. Well, actually I'm hoping we won't be here next winter. But it freezes in Oregon too.

My bucket is a simple mod, I just added a piece of foam to the bottom of the bucket then cut the bottom off another bucket and drilled holes to match the nipples so only the metal rod poked out. Worked like a charm down to 1°F.

The foam insulation.
vert-nipple02.jpg

The second bucket over the foam. It helps if both buckets are the same and you use the markings on the bottom to lay out where to drill.
vert-nipple03.jpg

And the submersible heater. I thought it was important to have the heater as close to the nipples as possible so I used a Farm Innovators 250 watt plastic bucket safe heater.
vert-nipple04.jpg

JT

My bucket is a simple mod, I just added a piece of foam to the bottom of the bucket then cut the bottom off another bucket and drilled holes to match the nipples so only the metal rod poked out. Worked like a charm down to 1°F.

The foam insulation.
View attachment 1321183

The second bucket over the foam. It helps if both buckets are the same and you use the markings on the bottom to lay out where to drill.
View attachment 1321184

And the submersible heater. I thought it was important to have the heater as close to the nipples as possible so I used a Farm Innovators 250 watt plastic bucket safe heater.
View attachment 1321185

JT
THANK YOU!!

:love:love Such a cute squirrel. Do they stay wild or are they more tame when you hand raise them?

From what I've read some squirrels will still hang around a bit, come for treats, etc. and others don't. I think with age they will become less people oriented.

I have a chihuahua that is absolutely squirrel crazy. She doesn't want to hurt them, but sure enjoys the chase. 2 years ago there was a young red squirrel we called Rusty that really enjoyed playing with her. He'd climb down a tree and run round and round the trunk while she chased him. Then he'd sit on a limb and she'd just stand there wagging her tail or barking. He became tame enough that he would take peanuts from my fingers and I could pet his tail. By the end of summer he stopped. I'm thinking he was making a family of his own and didn't want to bother with us.

Back
Top Bottom