calling any one from missouri

That looks cozy!!
(I'm glad I proof read this time. . phone thought it looked sexy.)

That's funny right there I don't care who you are...

I pruned some cuttings from the cherry tomato plants my neighbor gave me and have them in some water in the kitchen window. We'll see how that comes out.

JT

Well it's rainy and this is the cold front that will bring the freeze tomorrow....
Look what I got yesterday! I assume it's a fairy egg--but is it from a leghorn, or one of the Spitzhauben pullets (who haven't laid as far as I know) We have 3 leghorns. So the only candidates for white eggs are them or the Spitzes. It could be a tiny pullet egg!!!!! maybe we'll have eggs this winter!
fairy egg 10-10-19.jpg

Hi everyone, a nice fellow near Kansas City had his two hens stolen recently. He has had a rough go of things, and maybe someone here can help him to find a replacement pair of hens for pets. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-with-older-hens.1334767/page-6#post-21819739

I had my Rhode Island Reds (2) stolen after I had a tree trimmed in my backyard that was not visible from the street by some illegals. For 3.5 years I never lost a hen to anything not even decease. I was almost killed by a drunk with a suspended license for drunken driving 4 years ago and my girls were my "comfort pets" since I am still recovering from being rear ended after 7 surgeries with a pump in my back to help care for pain. Before the accident I had perfect health but not now, my father was in much better shape at 90 then I am at 70 years old. They brought me a lot of happiness and it was so much fun caring for them since my #1 hen was a real character nipping the back of my slacks when she wanted more meal worms and squatting down to let me know she wanted me to pick her up and spend time with her. They were suppose to not lay as much because of their age but that did not stop them from laying like young hens. It is hard enough to loss them to a predator animal but it is extremely hard to think they became so human garage's dinner. My wife of 42 years does not know what to do since she can see I am getting very depressed. I planned on keeping my girls healthy and happy as long as they lived so this has really brought me down big time. I have looked locally to see if any one is selling hens (they probably never be like my girls) and could not find any which is probably best since the drunk left us with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills so we really have no money to buy chickens. Feeding was not a problem see they got stuff from our garden, remains from diner, etc. along with their feed they really did not eat much of. To add to my stress and my wife's stress she may have breast cancer (we will find out next week) and we both enjoyed my girls for all the joy they brought us. My wife would make spaghetti for them and make special treats and got a go laugh watching them chase after me or come running when they saw me and it is now all over because the tree trimmer brought a bunch of people with him and they stole my chickens by lifting up the roof of their coop and grabbing them. I feel sick all over, all this is way too much for me to handle.

Hello fellow Missourians,
My husband and I were dumb. Well, I was 8 months pregnant and he was most probably too afraid of angry hormones to talk me down but we brought home chickens and ducks from our beloved spring planting festival (Bakers Creek, wooot!) back in May. What can I say? Momma was in full blown nesting mode and they were cute. Everything was straight run and we learned so many things.

Long story short, we ended up with two hens, one rooster, and two Indian runner drakes. We rehomed the rooster (they aren’t allowed in our suburb) to my uncle who lives a couple hours away and already had a collection of chickens.

My husband, bless his heart, worked his @$$ off building a duck house and coop from scratch and he even installed a drainable pond.

And then I noticed the ducks getting a little frisky with our hens...

I have learned so much from the forum on this site. You all are great. I finally caved, made myself an account and here I am. Trying to prevent bird rape in my backyard.

So... we’ve got two male ducks. They need some girl ducks. We don’t have space to provide them some women and yeah, ducks are delicious but I just can’t bring myself to kill these two idiots that I’ve raised from ducklings. They swam in our bathtub...

I could post on Craigslist but let’s be serious, they’re going to be someone’s dinner. I’m kind of ashamed it can’t be mine.

I knew this was a long shot but it was worth a try. Right now, they are kept separate from our hens. We are located in St. Louis County, MO.

Oh, yeah. I should mention that they are appx. 5 months old, in good health, and shouldn’t be separated. Our 4 year old named them Quackers and Jack.

And yes. We have learned the lesson to never buy SR again... or at least not until we have the space for a lot more birds!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 0445D818-A10C-4938-A415-E8EC925CA7C1.jpeg
    0445D818-A10C-4938-A415-E8EC925CA7C1.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 2
I picked the remaining tomatoes and peppers from the raised bed and brought in the Japanese Pepper plant and the freshly planted Roma tomatoes that I pruned a few weeks back due to the freeze advisory we have for tonight. The Roma tomatoes really look good. The Grape tomatoes I pruned last week are still in water on the kitchen window sill and look like they will make it.

JT

Back
Top Bottom