calling any one from missouri

Missouri garden question! I'm in Smithville 5b zone. I want to put arched trellis in my garden but finding mixed information of what direction to run them. I know to put them on the north side but do I run them east/west or north/south? And when they say run them ... Does that mean the what side the trellis is on or what side the opening is on? We are building fence around it because my chickens are pigs! haha

PS we have ayam cemani eggs hatching under a cochin hen tomorrow! I'm super excited. I found a guy in mid Missouri that has a hatchery.

@OhZark Biddies probably knows the folklore about trellis setting.

JT
The traditional location and orientation of an arched garden trellis was always to set it on the north side of the garden arched from west to east. This was because Old Scratch* always brought frost, sin, and bad luck to the garden from the north, and he couldn’t enter the garden through a properly built and blessed trellis, plus that way the trellis didn’t cast shade on the garden for lesser evils to play in.

a trellis on the east side was said to make it hard for the morning sun to bless the garden each day. A trellis on the west side made the garden hard for the rains to see, and invited drought. And a trellis on the south side was only built by a banker or some other godless heathen, who was just building it for show.

It was important to create the arch west to east in order to have it bow from the summer rain ( which typically comes from the west). Once it’s built no one can tell which way it was constructed, but if the garden turned out poor or was not well tended after a new trellis was set, the neighbors would gather after church and say things like “... I’ve seen that mess of weeds, that’s an east to west arch if I ever saw one, I bet the poor fool didn’t know any better... his mother was from Ohio after all.”

* “Old Scratch” was the old Ozarker’s code name for the devil, since it was bad luck to say his name out loud

Last edited:
The traditional location and orientation of an arched garden trellis was always to set it on the north side of the garden arched from west to east. This was because Old Scratch* always brought frost, sin, and bad luck to the garden from the north, and he couldn’t enter the garden through a properly built and blessed trellis, plus that way the trellis didn’t cast shade on the garden for lesser evils to play in.

a trellis on the east side was said to make it hard for the morning sun to bless the garden each day. A trellis on the west side made the garden hard for the rains to see, and invited drought. And a trellis on the south side was only built by a banker or some other godless heathen, who was just building it for show.

It was important to create the arch west to east in order to have it bow from the summer rain ( which typically comes from the west). Once it’s built no one can tell which way it was constructed, but if the garden turned out poor or was not well tended after a new trellis was set, the neighbors would gather after church and say things like “... I’ve seen that mess of weeds, that’s an east to west arch if I ever saw one, I bet the poor fool didn’t know any better... his mother was from Ohio after all.”

* “Old Scratch” was the old Ozarker’s code name for the devil, since it was bad luck to say his name out loud
Well that ought to totally confuse him! :p

Well that ought to totally confuse him! :p
Then my work here is done 😉

6733BBE6-CD45-44BE-BD2F-1CEF955C2C2E.jpeg

While I was at Menards NOT buying lumber I swiped a pallet from the recycle pile and brought it home. I leaned it up against the wall of the run and took some red oak that was ear marked for firewood next winter and made some supports for the perch. I took some white oak from the same pile and cut one edge straight and used my draw knife to peal the bark off the live edge then screwed that down with a couple of screws to the supports. In short order I realized that the physics was a bit off for the Queens to get up there easy so I took a bit more white oak and made a ramp. Then I sprinkled some chickweed on the perch and stepped back...

run-25.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom