calling any one from missouri

Will she eat anything soft you leave or toss her? If so, you may be able to help her yet. Ivermectin is a very safe medication we use in dogs and horses for parasites, both internal and external. In dogs, we use the injectible medication and give it ORALLY. Let me do some research. You may be able to do the same in deer. In most animals, it has a VERY wide safety margin, so you can give literally 2-4 TIMES as much with no bad outcome. It may be tonight before I can get you an answer. I have to dig out my Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. I may have to call a local wildlife rescue to get the answer.

My runt deer buddy Bambi actually walked up to me while I cutting her some apple slices today. She got within 5' of me and spooked a bit and backed off to 20'. Poor thing has a bunch of ticks on her ears... I wish I could help her get them off. I'm not sure she could make it without my help she is so tiny, shoulder about to my waist.

View attachment 2733536

JT
I finished this, and realized, you all have no idea how I can put together the below instructions LOL I worked for a vet practice for 8 years, but applied to medical school instead. The calculations to convert this for you are exactly how we know how many mg of medication to give children. I double checked with hubby, a radiologist, and he agrees on the below......

OK, I got the answer faster than I thought, with a quick search of the internet LOL Found an article from a deer farmer on how they use Ivermectin to prevent ticks and get rid of internal parasites. If you accomplish this, she may bounce back before Winter. I'll attach the article, so you know how to apply it to the corn.

On a sunny warm day. Using the POUR ON Ivermectin (NOT injectible), and reducing the amounts to a more manageable amount of corn for a single deer, you would need a small 3 ml syringe. Measure out 1 pound of corn and put in on a tin foil covered cookie sheet. Draw up 2 mls of Ivermectin pour on. Mix in 1-2 Tablespoons of water. I'd use a spay bottle nozzle and apply to one side of corn lightly and allow it to dry. Using pancake turner, flip the corn and apply to the other side and allow it to dry. Do this repeatedly till al, the Ivermectin is used, but make sure it dries each time before you flip and re-apply. Then feed to deer.

IMHO if it didn't get rid of all the ticks, I'd do it again in 2 weeks. As I said it has a very wide margin of safety and it's very important for this deer to get rid of all parasites, if she is to survive the winter.

Then in 2 mos use a different dewormer: https://shop.centerracoop.com/product/purina-de-wormer-supplement-50-lb/ according to what the deer article is down the page. As you can see, the margin of safety is very good for the Purina dewormer too, meaning if the deer eats double the dewormer, you won't hurt it.

There's one article that says something about Ivermectin not killing Liver Flukes in deer but I'd have to research what to use to kill those. The Purina dewormer may do it. I'd make sure to get both those treatments in by September and feed this deer real deer food from Purina to help it gain weight and get into condition for winter. It needs more vitamins, not just calories.

Here's one type of Ivermectin Pour on you can buy from a reputable place, for an example: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=FFE25FBA-80CB-4D81-8E2A-BC1848A64CA3 You might get a smaller bottle at local feed store.

Monique, my pistachio loving hen has been pretty sick and was living in a litter box for the last couple of weeks because she could not walk well and the other hens started to pick on her. She got the royal treatment with all the treats she wanted while in sick bay. I'm going to miss her. She was almost 4 years old.

She could tell if I had pistachios in my pocket and would watch me carefully so she could get them. She knew her name and would come running when I called her. If I was up on the deck tossing treats down she knew not to chase the first one because the second one was hers for sure.

View attachment 2734158

She would fly up to my shoulder and ride around the chicken yard with me. When she wanted down she would tell me and I'd squat down and put my arm out and she would walk down my arm and hop off.
View attachment 2734169

RIP Monique!

JT
Awh darn it! :hugs

The lady that owns the feed store explained to me that not all purina products are available everywhere. Most are designed for the specific region where they are sold. So I got Antler Max Deer 20 feed and Antler Max Deer Block and Durvet Ivermectin POUR ON seems to me that putting the ivermectin on the deer feed might be better if it absorbs it better.

JT

The lady that owns the feed store explained to me that not all purina products are available everywhere. Most are designed for the specific region where they are sold. So I got Antler Max Deer 20 feed and Antler Max Deer Block and Durvet Ivermectin POUR ON seems to me that putting the ivermectin on the deer feed might be better if it absorbs it better.

JT
Just as an FYI in case your cats can get at it… Check me on this, but I think cats and ivermectin are a bad mix… I might be thinking of something else though …

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom