calling any one from missouri

They stop laying when they are broody. They eat/drink very little, usually just once a day. Many hens will sit beyond the 3 weeks if nothing hatches. So it could become life threatening. They often don’t just snap out of it after 3 weeks.
A broody ties up the nest box. They are extremely protective and may warn all the other hens away. Tho if she isn’t top hen, other hens may squeeze in with her and add more eggs which leads to complications like staggered hatch. Once my top hen was broody and the others started laying on the floor of coop or outdoors.
The sooner you break the broodiness, the sooner she’ll start laying again. If it has just been a couple days, she’ll lay again within a week. But if it has been prolonged, it could be much longer.
Sounds a lot more intense than the ducks. I guess they stop laying too when they are trying to be broody but I get pleanty anyway so that don't bother me. My dux won't skip a meal for nothin. 🤣 They do get moody. I just gather eggs and destroy the nest every day and they are usually over it in a few days.

Tobacco Hornworms = 0
JT = 4
It's game time with the tomato plants... first thing every morning now is get the black light flashlight and my cup of coffee and a pair of needle nose pliers and go hunting.

JT

I’ve only got one old hen that dares to eat hornworms....haven’t found any yet, but I’ve seen several of their moths, the hummingbird moth.

Back
Top Bottom