calling any one from missouri

It curls my toes to think about it, but ... where might one find info on dubbing? It sounds horrible, but ... we had a BJG that suffered something awful from frostbite both on his comb and wattles a couple of winters ago. I like the breed but I'll never have another because of that.
I don't think dubbing is so bad as folks think it is. I mean.. we Circumcise little babies an no one gets all upset about that lol. We put rubber bands on livestock so their nuts drop off and that's commonly acceptable. 🤷🏼‍♀️

There are threads on here about dubbing. It's standard when showing games at poultry shows so there is alot of information available. There are alot of YouTube videos that show very clearly.
Thanks, tomorrow I will google. I know it's common practice in show birds. And I never want to see a bird of mine suffer like my BJG did.

I don't think dubbing is so bad as folks think it is. I mean.. we Circumcise little babies an no one gets all upset about that lol. We put rubber bands on livestock so their nuts drop off and that's commonly acceptable. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I just don't have any idea what it entails or what tools are used, how bloody or painful it might be. And yeah, I know. We (in America anyway) dock dogs' ears and tails too, but other countries consider that cruel and barbaric. So I won't know what to think until I see it. As for circumcision and that kind of neutering, they're done only at certain ages, for a reason.

You can just use sharp snips like they use for pruning branches and just cut the comb and wattles off with a few quick snips. If you ask the guys in the gamefowl thread they will likely have recommendations. Some of them cut depending on the moon signs etc. I think it's about time of year that they dub .

You can just use sharp snips like they use for pruning branches and just cut the comb and wattles off with a few quick snips. If you ask the guys in the gamefowl thread they will likely have recommendations. Some of them cut depending on the moon signs etc. I think it's about time of year that they dub .
Thanks. I was visualizing hacking at it with a razor blade or some such ... shudder.

How old are they when this is typically done? And how do you deal with the bleeding?
As a Gamefowl breeder myself, I usually raise my Birds up early spring and dub them in the middle of winter (December, January), Since the cold weather helps stop the blood much faster and Roosters aren't pumping with testosterone, I dub with surgical scissors but I have used a razor blade once, Which I only recommend using a razor blade if you've dubbed before, Its not as easy, And from what I can tell if you keep the Bird calm in the process it doesn't seem to hurt them to bad or at all, My Birds never flinch or freak out when I do so, Most of the blood that comes out is the blood that was already in the comb and wattles, The only part my Birds tend to somewhat squirm is when I'm doing the earlobes, Which they still don't scream or cause a scene, They just simply shake they're head a bit, Its easier than it looks but please do a lot of research before you dub, You can mess up easily if you cut the wrong bit but I suggest doing the earlobes first, Then the wattles, Then the comb, When dubbing the wattles you want to cut along the feather line, If you cut into the feather line your cutting into they're neck and you don't want to do that, The comb is easy to dub, If your dubbing for show then cut the back of the comb off and then from the beak to the back of the comb, They have a natural line you wanna follow, Make sure the back is well rounded, If your dubbing and your not dubbing for show, Just for frostbite purposes then I recommend dubbing to the skull like they do with Modern Games, Its easier to do and lessens the risk of frostbite compared to a show dubbed Bird which still has some comb left, With the bleeding I'll take some flour or bleedstop and dab it onto where they are bleeding, Some Birds don't bleed as much as others so if hes not bleeding much only do a little, If hes bleeding a lot I recommend doing as much as you can, Good luck with your Birds

And yeah, I know. We (in America anyway) dock dogs' ears and tails too, but other countries consider that cruel and barbaric.
I worked for a vet when I was in college….ears are docked under anesthesia. Tails were docked without, on day old puppies. I held the pups while the vet cut the tails off.

As a Gamefowl breeder myself, I usually raise my Birds up early spring and dub them in the middle of winter (December, January), Since the cold weather helps stop the blood much faster and Roosters aren't pumping with testosterone, I dub with surgical scissors but I have used a razor blade once, Which I only recommend using a razor blade if you've dubbed before, Its not as easy, And from what I can tell if you keep the Bird calm in the process it doesn't seem to hurt them to bad or at all, My Birds never flinch or freak out when I do so, Most of the blood that comes out is the blood that was already in the comb and wattles, The only part my Birds tend to somewhat squirm is when I'm doing the earlobes, Which they still don't scream or cause a scene, They just simply shake they're head a bit, Its easier than it looks but please do a lot of research before you dub, You can mess up easily if you cut the wrong bit but I suggest doing the earlobes first, Then the wattles, Then the comb, When dubbing the wattles you want to cut along the feather line, If you cut into the feather line your cutting into they're neck and you don't want to do that, The comb is easy to dub, If your dubbing for show then cut the back of the comb off and then from the beak to the back of the comb, They have a natural line you wanna follow, Make sure the back is well rounded, If your dubbing and your not dubbing for show, Just for frostbite purposes then I recommend dubbing to the skull like they do with Modern Games, Its easier to do and lessens the risk of frostbite compared to a show dubbed Bird which still has some comb left, With the bleeding I'll take some flour or bleedstop and dab it onto where they are bleeding, Some Birds don't bleed as much as others so if hes not bleeding much only do a little, If hes bleeding a lot I recommend doing as much as you can, Good luck with your Birds
Thanks, Mr. O and @SueT.

No Problem, If I end up having any Birds I have to dub this winter I'll make sure to remember to take a video for you to explain how to with further detail, Since alot of videos on youtube don't show it terribly well
I've watched some good ones before and then went to share them and found they were removed by you tube.

Back
Top Bottom