Calling Chickens In

ZZ

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
I let mine out yesterday for an hour before sunset
What are some tips and how do you call them to get em back in?

Saying "here chick chick chick" works so well that this afternoon when I was telling my DBF that I was going to train our neighbors' chickens to come when called, our 4 dunder heads came running...

Food? Food? Food? Mine? Food?

I've often read posts on here about folks not being able to get their chickens in the coop at night and I'm always puzzled. I've only had one chicken in all my life that was confused about where to go to roost....she wanted to sleep on the chair on our porch! All the chickens we have ever had just naturally go in the coop when it gets twilight. Are folks trying to get them to go earlier so they can shut them in for the night? Or are the chickens roosting all over the place? I've always been curious about those post....ZZ, where do your chickens go, if not to the roosts?
smile.png

I like letting my birds out in the AM and PM. They generally go back to the coop on their own, but they occassionally need some persuading. So, I made a "persuader".

I took a fishing pole and tied a rag on the end. I get behind the birds and 'pop' the rag. After about one pop, most of the birds make a bee-line for the coop. Others soon follow and for the most stubborn, all I need do is get after them! It's sort of a chicken round up.

Now, when the birds even see the fishing pole, the start gettin' nervous. All I need do is raise the "flag" and they are gone!! <smile>

My birds are 9 wks old they go to bed all by themselves but one morning I went to let them out and found my buff polish sleeping under my grandson's fisher price slide. I couldn't believe I missed her when I did the head count when they were going in.
But I don't think she liked her night out. Now she's always the first one in at night
We are changing from temporary shelter to coop either tonight or tomorrow. And I'm wondering how to do it. It should be interesting
lol.png

I always use a Yellow barn pail. From the time they were chicks, they assosiated the yellow pail as Food! They come running when I shake the pail by the handle.
Then I walk in first to the fence and show them sprinkling food on the ground to keep their attention.
Hope this helps, oh, I use that pail even if I only have a slice of bread. Chickens are food motivated!

They go in the roost at sundown
But I want to train em to come when called so i can lock em in the run when Im ready
I tink my problem Is I would carry treats w/me during the day just to get them used to me
But I problly need a can or bucket to carry out treats in the afternoon only
What do yall think

Back
Top Bottom